Thursday, June 28, 2012

Getting Rid of "That" in Your Writing

I don't even have a clue what to blog about this week, but I ran into a really funny issue last night when I was doing a special revision of my current WIP (about the mad scientist and wings. It gets ugly....).

I learned from K.M. Weiland's blog, Wordplay, a super awesome blog on the craft, how to do a really neat trick to catch every instance of overusing the word "that" in your fiction writing. Because, we all overuse it, don't we? It's just one of those words that<--right here, we don't even realize we're writing and don't even notice while reading, either! Ugh... It is frustrating, but you can do the following trick to catch yourself before you send your little darlings out into the cruel, "that"-hating world.

Open up your document and do a "Replace" search function on the word "that" for every instance it shows up in the document. In the line where it asks you what word to replace it with, put in a word you are sure to notice every time you read it. In fact, put it in ALL-CAPs because it will stand out a lot better and you'll be even more sure not to gloss over it.

So, which word did I use to replace "that" with? "POOP," in all-caps even. And, when I came across the replacements of "that" with "POOP," they read something like this:
  
“Thank you,” he said, coughing out the words. “I’m eternally grateful to you. You know, I sought you out because I had a feeling I could trust you. I was right about POOP.”
***
She would never say something so candid and informal like POOP to him while [he was] conscious, but she thought like this on a regular basis, especially on days like these. 

Regarding the second one, of course she wouldn't say something like that to her boss! That one actually made sense, interestingly enough. Needless to say, I busted my gut three ways to Sunday while revising my partial manuscript last night. OH, it was so much fun, I could barely think straight! But, most importantly, I caught all 50 of those "that" buggers and got rid of the ones that really didn't need to be there. 


Give this trick a shot if you suspect you repeat certain words way too often in your writing. It ought to clean it right up!


13 comments:

  1. Too funny! I'd be cracking up, too!

    Thanks for the tip. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Dana: You're welcome. Glad I'm of use to ya. ;)

      Delete
  2. Great post! "That" is always one of those words I over-use in early drafts, then have to trim like crazy when I get close to final draft. You're right, the word just comes out, sort of like the word "uh" when you're talking or giving a speech. I love this technique, thanks for sharing it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Camille: You're welcome for the tip. "That" is such a weird tick word because it's so invisible and easy to gloss right over.

      Delete
  3. Lol! Great advice. Hmmmm, I wonder what words I overuse.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Jenny: Hey! You're over on my writing blog! Nice to see you here. ;)

      Delete
  4. That's a good tip! If it wasn't for that tip I don't know what I would do to elimate overused words, I know that!

    It is annoying, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Jeremy: Thanks! I hope it helps with your writing. :)

      Delete
  5. I thought I was the only one who used 'That' too often. I do it all the time when I'm writing blog posts. It's so hard a habit to break because it's the way I talk in real life. Your technique is so cool though. I'm going to start doing that in my books too. I use the phrase 'as if' way too much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Lan: I'm sure I'm guilty of overusing way more words than just "that." I'm going to have to do some experimenting to find out how overkill other words are in my MS's.

      Delete
  6. Haha!!! A great tip (I almost included "that" in my sentence). "That" is a word I often overuse. My high school teacher similarly criticized us for overuse of the word "the"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Alison: Thanks~! It's helpful when you just can't stop yourself from overusing certain words.

      Delete
    2. To this day, I still obsessively check my writing for too many "the's." Although sometimes I get lazy with blog posts.

      Delete

I would love to know what you think about this post! Leave me a comment. Thanks so much!

IWSG: The I-Have-Returned Edition... (#37)

The Insecure Writer's Support Group (IWSG) is a monthly support system for blogging writers in need of finding other writers to co...