Wednesday, June 5, 2019

IWSG: The I-Have-Returned Edition... (#37)


The Insecure Writer's Support Group (IWSG) is a monthly support system for blogging writers in need of finding other writers to connect with and share our deepest insecurities in a safe environment.


Hello, fellow neurotic authors! I know I've been gone for a LONG time, but for good reason. I can't explain it all in enough detail without writing you all a tome, so just know shortly after my last post in September of 2018, my personal life became unrelentingly difficult for a while. Then, by around January, my health declined significantly as a result, so I've been battling my way back to some semblance of normalcy ever since. Now, I'm in the middle of planning a move to another state, so I'm not out of the woods just yet.

My writing has suffered, as well, sadly. I wish I could say I've finally finished my first draft of my latest novel, but I cannot. I am nearly finished, though. I can also report that I'm doing better on the health front and it's getting better every day. I think I can actually participate properly in IWSG now, so I'm going to give it the ol' college try. Yeah, believe it or not, I was too ill to blog....

June 5th question: Of all the genres you read and write, which is your favorite to write in and why?

I've always read the classics, like Dickens and Austen, as well as Young Adult fantasy and sci-fi. I read Regency romance, like Georgette Heyer, as well as a smattering of modern-day authors of that genre (it's the Jane Austen fan in me). I will read a few genres that I don't normally read, like hard sci-fi or even high fantasy, although these genres are more rarely read.

I'm drawn to writing YA fantasy and paranormal fiction, though not as much sci-fi for that age group, and I've been writing a Regency romance novel for the past year-plus. I feel like I pretty much write in the genres I usually read, even if I stray from the reading path on rare occasions. Like, right now I'm reading a clean Scottish paranormal romance, which is one of the rarest things out there, and I would never consider writing in this genre, but the entire premise of the novel really intrigues me.

I just write mostly the type of fiction that is similar to what I read because that's what interests me on the whole. I like stories about teenagers getting caught up in paranormal situations. Maybe it's because they are still children, yet almost at adulthood, they just react the best way to odd phenomena. I like stories about young Regency-era women struggling to find their place in the early 19th century English world and, ultimately, finding love, because my hero, Jane Austen, illustrated the plights of these young fictional heroines so well, her brilliance lives on two-hundred years later.

What genres do you read and write in? Do they happen to differ? 

27 comments:

  1. Glad you are back but sorry for all your challenges. Glad you have been able to write some through these hard times. I like to write in genres I love reading. Right now it's MG and YA fantasy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your kind words, Natalie! I need to see your blog so I can see your YA fantasy stuff.

      Delete
  2. Oh wow - not only had I never heard of, but I couldn't even have dreamed up "clean Scottish paranormal romance." :D It's always fun to discover a new genre and find that something about it resonates with your heart and mind. Have fun with your Regency romance WIP! I have a friend who says she always reads in a slightly different genre than what she's writing to give her brain a break. Maybe that's part of the appeal of reading one that's paranormal while writing one that's historical?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. I try not to read the genre I'm writing in, partly so I don't lose my own voice.

      Delete
    2. Yep, the book is indeed a clean Scottish PNR. I think I just read what intrigues me, based on the premise, and if it's outside my usual genres, then it doesn't matter to me. It does give me a break from too much samey book stuff, which is nice.

      Delete
  3. I'm also a Regency romance fan, though I've never tried writing one. I have vague plans to write historical romance set in the 1920s one day. For now, it's contemporary romance--and the occasional murder story, just to clean out the pipes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to hear you like Regency romance, too! It's honestly really tough to write, because you have to know so much about the era and those elite 1-percenters. Their lives were so bizarre and very specific as to what they would do and how they would behave. The 1920s sound so fun! Probably easier than the 1820s, anyway.

      Delete
  4. As for books, I read a lot of fiction. However, I don't read that many books. Generally, I spend most of my time reading articles online which are all nonfiction. And when I write, I write about my life which is nonfiction. I would love to read and write with more variety, but my time is limited and I feel like I have to pick and choose.

    I hope your health continues to improve. Welcome back to IWSG! :)

    With Love,
    Mandy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like you write memoirs? That's very cool. You have to have some worthwhile life experiences to do that, and that's not me! I love to hear stories about real peoples' interesting life experiences.

      Delete
  5. Good to hear from you! Sorry your health has suffered so long.
    Young adults react best to odd stuff. I can't argue with that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yeah, teenagers are the most naturally dramatic and everything is very new to them. At least, adult stuff is, anyway.

      Delete
  6. Welcome back :) Glad you're doing better and I hope that your health continues to improve.

    I don't think I've ever read a Regency romance. I'm going to have to give it a go as I've been trying to read in genres that I don't normally seek out.

    Cheers - Ellen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I encourage you to read a Regency romance. I think they are very charming!

      Delete
  7. Welcome back! It sounds like you’re making progress - keep going! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Welcome back! Glad things are starting to get better for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! They are starting to look up.

      Delete
  9. Being nearly finished is almost as good as finished, so all is good. Glad you're back and feeling better. Hmmm... is clean Scottish paranormal romance a subgenre on Amazon?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope so! I'll feel better once it's actually finished, just to be official about it. Yeah... I don't think clean Scottish PNR is a subgenre on Amazon. The book series seems to be an anomaly, which is too bad, and it's awfully long, too.

      Delete
  10. Welcome back! I, too, am nearing the end of a long journey on a first draft. Hang in there! A clean Scottish paranormal romance sounds delightful! Scotland is full of the supernatural, so I imagine it's romances would be, as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great that you're nearly finished with a first draft that took you a long time to write, too! Yeah, the Outlander books have inspired the genre, but none of the books are clean, hence the unusual series I'm reading.

      Delete
  11. I like your take on YA. Sounds more fun than angst filled pages.

    Anna from elements of emaginette

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, right? Teens can be fun and naive, too! Being angry and depressed all the time is too cliche at this point.

      Delete
  12. Glad you are feeling better and that you are getting back to a semblance of normal. I hope all goes well with the move. :) The writing will be there when you are ready- and when the time is right. Who knows- maybe the move will spark inspiration. :)
    ~Jess

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm glad to hear you're doing a bit better health-wise. It's so hard to get things accomplished when you're sick.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to know what you think about this post! Leave me a comment. Thanks so much!

IWSG: The I-Have-Returned Edition... (#37)

The Insecure Writer's Support Group (IWSG) is a monthly support system for blogging writers in need of finding other writers to co...