Wednesday, September 5, 2018

IWSG: The Update-from-Hell Edition... (#36)


The Insecure Writer's Support Group (IWSG) is a monthly support system for blogging writers in need of finding other writers to connect with and share our deepest insecurities in a safe environment. Created by the clever Alex J. Cavanaugh with the expressed purpose to "share and encourage."

It's been a while since I've "shown my face" around here, but I decided I feel well enough to at least post a few words. It's been an interesting several months....

I've been struck down since last spring with all kinds of hormonal issues relating to my age (if you can take a hint... I'm in my early forties...) and adrenal fatigue, which also causes its own set of hormonal problems no matter your age or sex. All rolled up together, it's called Hormone Hell and it's not a very fun place to be. I'm still there, but I wanted to send an update so I feel more normal. It's kind of working.

I'm still trying to balance everything out and my adrenal hormones give me the most trouble regularly. I get very low blood pressure as a result, so it's like I'm wading my life through water. Salt helps, but I need to heal my adrenal glands. A helpful hint: don't ever ride on adrenaline for too long or be under extreme stress for too long (as if you have a choice!). You will get sick and your adrenals will burn out. Be kind to your body and don't abuse it. You don't have a spare, though spare bodies is a cool idea for a sci-fi novel!

This month's optional question: What publishing path are you considering/did you take, and why? 

Well, I've been intending to self-publish since early 2011 after discovering it was something that actually made authors some money. I didn't think it did until Joe Konrath was publishing the sales numbers for some authors and, in particular, Amanda Hocking. She sold around 10,000 copies in one month alone, so I knew it was something that had become possible, and I really hated trying to figure out how to write a good query letter.

The TRUEST form of hell I've experienced is trying to figure out how to get a super stressed-out literary agent to read beyond your first sentence of your query letter without hitting the "trash" button. I learned these are not the kind of people you want to invite over for dinner, that's for sure. I was so depressed at that point, I was about to throw in the towel, but I kept on hearing about Joe Konrath and his ebook sales all being due to having an existing audience, and discovered his blog and how all those lit agents were lying about that, because he didn't have an existing audience at all. I was done listening to their lies and never went back.

It felt immediately liberating knowing I'd be doing all the publishing myself for my own works. Some people might not like all that extra stuff, but I actually like it so much, perhaps more than writing! My only issue is that I can't get my first drafts finished so I can get to the fun stuff beyond them.

Anyway, that's my story. What publishing path suits you best?

26 comments:

  1. I'm sorry your body threw you for a loop so long. Definitely take care of yourself as clones aren't real. (Maybe!)
    Now, go finish a manuscript!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even if clones were real, they would be their own people, so it wouldn't benefit me much, lol. I will very slowly, as my hormones permit, get some writing done. I have to write while they're too distracted to bother me!

      Delete
  2. Hormone issues are NOT fun. I’m so sorry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your understanding. I really appreciate any sympathy I can get. Not much of it going around in my household.

      Delete
  3. I'm sorry to hear about your health. Long term issues like that take over your life, and it takes a long time to find some semblance of balance. I truly hope that you find something that leads you in the right direction.

    And to be fair to agents, many of them are nice people, they just read HUNDREDS of queries a day, so something has to be REALLY different/interesting to stand out. Or, even more likely, EXACTLY what they're already looking for.

    IWSG September

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the encouragement and understanding. You can't lead a good quality life without good quality of health.

      I only ever saw the stressed-out agents on their blogs who were pretty nasty about their standards, but I did read a few blogs from normal, nice ones, too. Over all, I found them all to be easy to leave behind when I discovered their lies about self-publishing at the time. They didn't want their jobs infringed upon, but they now have to accept it. Back then, they thought they could deny it was an issue. Times have changed!

      Delete
  4. Sorry about the health problems. Yeah, indie is the way to go if you can handle the extra duties. Hopefully those extra duties don't demand too much from your adrenal glands.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope they don't, as well! I just have to do the best I can within my limitations.

      Delete
  5. I've followed Joe Konrath's progress, as well, and find it very encouraging. And keeping control of everything is very appealing to me. I actually like doing cover art and formatting. But there are outsources for those, as well, if needed. Hope you stay on track healthwise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Joe does a good job of convincing authors to think outside the box and not feel like the traditional path is the only path. It's great to have options.

      Delete
  6. Sorry you are going through hormone hell. Mine was not so bad. And glad you found the publishing path you love and that gives you control over the process.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, you got lucky! I guess we all get over it, eventually.

      Delete
  7. Hormone Hell. That's a good description.
    Good luck with your health and your writing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The first drafts are tough, but editing can be it's own slice of hell too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love editing so much more than writing first drafts, but I do know that many writers just loathe editing. Everyone is different.

      Delete
  9. *hugs* I hope you can get the adrenal fatigue under control soon. And I'm all for having spare bodies (more robotic than biological) or just upload my consciousness to the internet. I'd be cool with that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, not being held back by a poor functioning body would be so great! Put my mind into a robot body, or something.

      Delete
  10. I hope you feel better soon. I actually enjoy the editing more than writing the first draft. That said, I'd be no good at all the requirements of self publishing...because while I like editing, I miss A LOT! Wishing you wellness!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Another writer who enjoys editing more than writing the first draft! That is neat to discover. I feel pretty unusual in this industry for that reason.

      Delete
  11. Konrath is an inspiration.

    Good luck with the hormones. I've had my own out of whack and it doesn't feel very good. Nothing like a roller coaster ride without the thrills.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's such a good way of putting it. A roller coaster ride without the thrills, just the chills. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  12. Sorry to hear about your hormone hell - hope your body continues to heal and recover. I self-publish and have found that I really enjoy the publishing/business aspects of it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm sorry that you have been going through so much, Cathy! I hope you heal sooner rather than later. I pushed my body beyond its limits for too many years, and I paid quite a price. Now I'm taking much better care of myself, and I'm healthier than I've been in a long time. The good news is eventually you get through Hormone Hell! I'm encouraged to hear you speak up in support of self-publishing and to hear you enjoy the process. Wishing you all the best!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm sorry to hear about what your body is going through. Hope all is well.

    www.ficklemillennial.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

I would love to know what you think about this post! Leave me a comment. Thanks so much!

IWSG: The I-Have-Returned Edition... (#37)

The Insecure Writer's Support Group (IWSG) is a monthly support system for blogging writers in need of finding other writers to co...