Tuesday, May 8, 2012

MAY I Tell You About Myself? (Blog Me MAYbe #1)



Blog Me MAYbe is a writer blog meme created/hosted by the lovely Sara McClung of BabblingFlow.Blogspot.com



Tuesday Question: MAY I tell you something about myself?


This is my first meme on my new writer blog here, so I'm excited! I feel like I'm dropping into a community that has so much going on within it already, and I have a lot of catching up to do. I hope I'm doing this meme correctly, but I guess it's hard to go wrong when you're just writing about yourself.

Of course nobody knows much of anything about me because this blog is brand new and this is literally my second post, so I can just start from the beginning. I'm a writer who wants to be an author and publish novels for the YA audience. I love science fiction and fantasy, so I love to write stories that feature speculative elements in them. 

I'm currently writing a Young Adult urban fantasy set in contemporary Los Angeles, California with a, perhaps, bizarre fantasy element to it. I'm loving this story more than any other I've written, so far, and the characters are completely alive and real to me. They literally write themselves and I'm just in awe of them. I say to them, "What do you want me to know about you? Who are you?" and they tell me. Maybe not right away, but they do eventually. It's so much fun and I feel so fulfilled. I don't have children, but I imagine this is sort of like that. You give birth to them and they just grow up with your guidance and you let them become whatever they naturally want to become. And, you feel fulfilled. Is that what parenthood is like?  (Sunshine & rainbows?)

Anyway, I've been itching to become a novelist for about fifteen years, ever since I was twenty-one. I know that's old for a lot of writers. I'm not one of those who wanted to do it since childhood. But, one day it dawned on me that this was the path I wanted to tread, and the desire to do it never left me. I tried to make it go away and ignored it for many years, but it just wouldn't leave. If it did, it would always come back. If anything, it's stronger now than it ever has been. Is this like being in love? I don't even know what that's like, either, since I never found my one true love (as far as I know). 

Writing is how I make sense of my existence since, as you can tell from what I've admitted, I never created my own family. I'll not likely be passing down my DNA to anyone in the future, so writing is a way to become immortal if having progeny doesn't work out. I figured that out during my senior level Shakespeare class way back in my college days. I still remember that moment. After all, it's not like we know who Shakespeare's descendents are. Did he even have any children?

So, this my personal reveal of myself for today. It was fun, and I'll do another one soon, since Sara's idea is really great. It can be hard thinking of what to write in my writer blog, even though I am a writer and I want to writer professionally. Is that ironic?

 

12 comments:

  1. Hey Cathy :D I just discovered your blog through Sara´s...Good luck with the blogging world, I find the writing community to be very supportive and fun to hang around :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Elodie: Thanks so much! I hope to become a regular part of the writing community.

      Delete
  2. Loved your post! Just found you through your Blog Me MAYbe link. Looking forward to reading more about your writing journey.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Dana: Thank you! I appreciate your kind words. Now I'll go check out your blog. ;)

      Delete
  3. It's great to learn more about you, and you weren't old when you decided to become a writer. I was twenty-seven when I decided to become a writer. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Cherie: Thanks! It's good to know somebody else was already in their 20's before deciding to become a writer. :)

      Delete
  4. Just found your blog through the Blog Me Maybe site. I have always wanted to write, but didn't let myself start really (or let people see what I wrote) til last June and I'm in my thirties (not quite half way there, but damn near close. too close if you ask me! lol) Anyways, welcome to the writing world! There is a group of us in ROW80 that do a one hour wordsprint at 2pm EST Monday through Friday if you want to join in (hashtag is #row80) Hope to see you around the blogging/twittering/writing world! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Kat: Thanks for the info on ROW80 and thanks for your welcome. Hope to see you around, too!

      Delete
  5. Good luck! I need to get back into writing. I'm hoping to do so in the next few months. Maybe not until fall though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Alison: Thanks! I hope you can get back into writing soon.

      Delete
  6. Well, what do you know, another YA writer. lol It seems everyone is gravitating towards that genre as that's where the money is it would appear.

    Well, good luck to you, I sincerely hope you are the next big thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Jeremy: Thanks, I guess. I write adult fiction as well, not just YA. But, YA is a natural fit for me since I'm very immature for my age... ;)

      Delete

I would love to know what you think about this post! Leave me a comment. Thanks so much!

IWSG: The I-Have-Returned Edition... (#37)

The Insecure Writer's Support Group (IWSG) is a monthly support system for blogging writers in need of finding other writers to co...