Thursday, March 14, 2013

How Weird Are My Ideas?

A thought popped into my head (dangerous, I know) because I've been thinking about where great ideas come from. Many TED-type people will tell you different things, but it all comes down to chaos coalescing into something that actually makes sense in the end.

Are my ideas for novels bad, great or just plain bizarre? I wanted to blog about some ideas I haven't even touched yet, so none of these have anything to do with my current novel. That idea is, actually, rather mundane in my opinion. But, even a great idea is worthless if executed poorly, and some bland ideas are done so well in content, they become best sellers. So, I'm not worried about that.

Here are a few ideas for novels I've been batting around in my head, as of late: 


1. Teen girl saves a man's life and turns him into a cyborg so he can destroy all the evil robots causing the apocalypse. 

Is this odd, or what? I like this idea, so don't get me wrong. I like all these ideas, but this is pretty funny in that either it is terrible or awesome. This is a story with the characters salvaged from a YA urban fantasy I was writing last year, but abandoned. I love the characters too much to just leave them in my head.

The robots are the element iron in living form. They are anything that was man-made metal turned into living metal creatures that destroy everything because they are not able to sustain an animate state without going mad. The protagonist has her personal reasons for wanting to get rid of all the robots and the man-turned-cyborg is the only hope she and humanity have that they can be destroyed because he's at least half "bad guy." But, controllable, unlike the bad guy robots.

I also love this play on Frankenstein and a potential blend with Pygmalion, which is kind of the opposite of Frankenstein. Not to mention the mental state of this cyborg guy and his brain fusing with living metal inclined towards madness. The Dr. Jekyll/Mr. Hyde trope could factor in, as well. This is what makes writing fun!  




2. Cinderella + Hamlet.  

Yep, you read that right. The world's most recognized "happily-ever-after" story coupled with the world's most notorious "everyone-dies-at-the-end" tragedy. How in the world is this story going to end, right? I honestly don't know at this point and I'm kind of excited to find out. 

I realize that in order to make this work, you have to have the Cinderella/Opheila character as the protagonist, otherwise the Hamlet character will take over the story to the point it won't be a blend of Cinderella and Hamlet. With her at the helm, it could work. It's like Cinderella is in love with a mad prince who has to revenge-kill his evil uncle for assassinating his late father, the former king. Is the Prince more interesting now, or what? And all the deaths that occur? How will she live happily ever after? Will she live at all? 

I wanted to use a character I created in an Adult sci-fi novel I was writing last year and have him be the Hamlet character, because, again I like him too much to let him rot in my head. He's kind of insane, so he could play this role, only he'd be younger and look different. I was a Shakespeare student in college, so I could actually do this.... probably. Maybe. (Pray for me!)

 
3. The most beautiful female in the world is cursed with instantly killing every man who lays eyes on her.

This is an idea for an original fairy tale that I'm not so sure about writing anymore, but I've had the premise in mind for well over a decade. Maybe it's just so dramatic and tragic. What a lonely girl. I also like the theme that beauty can be a curse and not always a blessing. In this case, a curse when in excess. I don't have a plot worked out, or at least not a viable one, so I have no idea what I would do with this character and what she would need to accomplish, story goal-wise. But, maybe this one has some potential if I were to put my mind to it. 


Are my ideas weird? What story ideas do you have that seem far-fetched? Anything insane or just totally amazing?

        

12 comments:

  1. "a great idea is worthless if executed poorly, and some bland ideas are done so well in content, they become best sellers" This is so completely true. On the other hand, terrible books with terrible writing can also make it big *cough* Fifty Shades *cough*

    I think the key is to spread your net as far and wide as you can because you never know what stories other people are going to love. That's one thing I learned from The Click Moment.

    I love so many of the story ideas you have. Especially the one involving cyborgs. There is merit in all of these ideas. Though I do think Ironworks was a great idea in its own right.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Lan: LOL at your Fifty Shades comment! Yeah, The Click Moment tells you to try out all kinds of ideas and see what sticks because you never know what will. And thank for your encouragement. Ironworks, as it had been, was a little bit troublesome, though.

      Delete
  2. I'd read the first one. Third one scares me a little...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your imagination! Keep thinking up all those bizarre, delightful ideas and maybe one will become the Next Big Thing! I believe in you. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Lexa: Thanks! Somebody does! I guess you never know when some odd idea you have could go over well with some group of readers. ^_^

      Delete
  4. The first sounds like a cross between Frankenstein and Robocop, but why a teenager - is she a scientific genius? :-) As for the third , it sounds a bit like Medusa. Medusa was beautiful before she pissed off a certain god. Recommend you check out Light Touch Paper Stand Back, an Australian anthology in which there's a variation on Medusa by Donna Hanson, where the girl is being used for cures.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Whoops, sorry, the Medusa story is in Mythic Resonance, another Aussie anthology, published by Specusphere. They've nearly run out of the print edition, but it's still available in ebook.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think those all sound like awesome ideas! I'd read them. Especially the last one. I like that one the most, for some reason. I'm not sure what that says about me, or my love life. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @James: Thanks! LOL at you liking the last idea the most. Like Alex said, I would think you'd be the most afraid of that idea. ^_^

      Delete
  7. I think even the weirdest ideas can make awesome books if the story is well thought out and well-written and the characters are relatable and compelling :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Rachel: Yeah, I agree with you. It's so much more about the execution of the story idea than the story idea itself. So many books with premises that I thought were really weird (The Hunger Games) turned out to be amazing. ;)

      Delete

I would love to know what you think about this post! Leave me a comment. Thanks so much!

IWSG: The I-Have-Returned Edition... (#37)

The Insecure Writer's Support Group (IWSG) is a monthly support system for blogging writers in need of finding other writers to co...