Saturday, September 29, 2012

Week in Review (#4)

WEEK IN REVIEW


Another 'Week in Review' post! I really need more ideas as to what to blog about....



Past Writing 

This week I made my weekly word count goal of 3,000 words minimum by writing 3,384 for my YA fantasy novella, Pink Knight. I've got 17,800 words written of what will be a 25,000 word story, so I'm around 3/4 of the way finished. This is so great! I'm actually going to finish this one. I probably should reward myself when I'm all done.

I can't wait to be done with it, not because I'm hating to write it, but because I want to get to the editing. I must be an editing junky because I can't write and not edit as I write. That's my style, but it'll likely keep me from having to revise the story so much. So far, everything is going very well and the story is good, even for my standards. The fact that I've yet to trunk it is a good sign.

Past Reading

I just finished reading Such Wicked Intent by Kenneth Oppel, the second book in The Apprenticeship of Victor Frankenstein series and it was amazing! I loved the first book SO much and this one did not disappoint. I might say I liked this one even more than the first. I think it's the last one, which is sad, but good if that's all the author has to say about this story.

I'm very into Frankenstein literature and, finally, more books are coming out because of the success of Kenneth Oppel's books. Last week, I also got approved for an ARC of Broken by A.E. Rought, which is a YA retelling of Mary Shelley's Frankenstein. Although, I don't know quite how it retells it, but the protagonist is a teen girl. I'm hearing good things about it, so I'm excited. That books comes out January 8, 2013.  

This Week

My goal is to write another 3,000 words of Pink Knight. Honestly, stating my goals on my blog has really helped me to not slack off. I know I would have had I not been declaring that I intend to write this amount of words, or have that much finished by this time. I really need that accountability. It keeps me real. Last thing I want to do is look like a total flake for not writing enough when I could have.

This week's reading will be preempted because a writer friend of mine needs a critique on her novella due out later this year. So, I will be reading, but not a finished manuscript. I do love to edit, although it's so much more work than passive reading. (Can I state the obvious, or what?) If I finish early enough in the week, I'll be moving on to reading my ARC of Velveteen by Daniel Marks. He is a super funny guy and I can't wait to dive right into his YA paranormal/horror novel. 


That's all for this week, folks. Thanks for all your support and words of encouragement. I appreciate whatever comments you'd like to leave, be they in-depth, or even the drive-by variety to lob at me!
  

10 comments:

  1. You are so close to finishing Pink Knight! I'm super excited. Especially since you didn't think you could finish any book! I'm so happy. Maybe we can publish at the same time after all. Glad you enjoyed Such Wicked Intent (Gosh these titles are incredible!. I'll have to get around to reading it soon. Though I am still pretty devastated about the ending of This Dark Endeavor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Lan: Yeah, I figure I'll have Pink Knight ready to publish by early next year. That's my goal, anyway.

      Definitely read Such Wicked Intent! It is really good and totally resolves the story problem from the first book.

      Delete
  2. I'm with you on editing. I just can't help but edit as I go. In fact, I do it so much that I have a post-it on my monitor that says "Fix it in revision!!" because I'll just keep tinkering otherwise. I'm writing mostly shorts right now, so it's not that big a deal, but when I was writing a novel I would over-edit my WIP to the point that it was clearly procrastination. :P

    Good luck with Pink Knight!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @J.W.: Yeah, I love to edit as I write, but I find I'm good about knowing when to quit so I can get the 1st draft finished. That's why I figure I don't need to try and change my style. Hope it's something you can figure out how to get better at!

      Thanks for your support. ;)

      Delete
  3. It sounds like you have some great books lined up to read! And that's fantastic about the progress your making on your novella!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're doing great! Maybe I need to start posting my writing goals--when I start writing again, that is. :)

    I'm with you on the editing. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Dana: Thanks so much! Yeah, posting your writing goals keeps you from slacking off, I think. I'll be there to cheer you on when you start writing again! ;)

      Delete
  5. Yay, so glad you are meeting your weekly word count! Don't let my novella get in the way of your goal! Esp since I don't need it back for a few weeks. I'm very excited to read Pink Knight!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Camille: Your novella's NOT getting in the way of anything! Don't worry about that. I'm perfectly able to fit it into my schedule. I'm happy to help!

      Delete

I would love to know what you think about this post! Leave me a comment. Thanks so much!

IWSG: The I-Have-Returned Edition... (#37)

The Insecure Writer's Support Group (IWSG) is a monthly support system for blogging writers in need of finding other writers to co...