Monday, March 11, 2013

Top Ten Tuesday (#1): My Spring 2013 TBR Pile


"Top Ten Tuesday" is a weekly (super fun) book blog meme hosted by the awesome folks at The Broke and the Bookish.


This post is a book list I made based on the "Top Ten Tuesday" bookish meme created by the book bloggers over at The Broke and the Bookish. I used to do this meme on my book blog back when I was blogging over there and it was always my favorite one. I figure, why not do it again? It was fun and it's not like my writing blog isn't about books. Obviously, I'm an avid reader or I wouldn't be a writer. So, here we go with this week's topic:



TOP TEN BOOKS AT THE TOP OF MY SPRING 2013 TBR PILE
  
 
1. Cinder by Marissa Meyer

I just started reading this and I'm really liking it so far. It's such a high quality story, which I appreciate. I've been reading books that just aren't quite wowing me, lately. They've been good but not great. I hope this one is great for me. Since I love me some cyborgs and robots and Cinderella, it really stands a good chance.

2. Wake by Amanda Hocking

I bought this recently on my Kindle for a few dollars, so I want to get into this to see if it lives up to my love of Amanda's Trylle Trilogy. Also, the second book comes out in paperback in April, so it's a chance to get that book cheap, too, if I like this one.

3. Ascend by Amanda Hocking

This is the third book in the Trylle Trilogy, which I haven't read yet, but I love the first two, Switched and Torn. Call me crazy, but these books are good! I love the characters, even if the writing isn't dazzling. Amanda is more of a storyteller than a writer. Writing is how she tells her stories, so I don't hold that against her.
  

4. Clockwork Princess by Cassandra Clare

This YA trilogy is my absolute favorite! I completely adore everything about these books, especially the characters. Jem Carstairs is my favorite and this books should bring the entire debacle created in Book 2 to a conclusion, hopefully a happy one for him. (I'm so worried. Please don't let me down, Cassie!)

5. The Kensei by Jon F. Merz

I've had this book for two years now and still haven't read it. How is that possible when it has samurai and vampires in it? And Japan in it? I can't even... I don't know why I've neglected this book for so long, but I won't this spring. I'm all about swords and katana and samurai and vampires. How many animes have I seen with all these elements combined and loved them? (Hint: a lot.)

6. The Lost Prince by Julie Kagawa

This is the first book in the new Iron Fey spin-off series, which I adore. Read those Iron Fey books, people, if you love YA fantasy and faeries. They are THE YA faerie books to be reading. This book series is about the first book series' protagonist, Meghan's, little brother, Ethan as a teenager dealing with menacing faeries like how Meghan did when she was a teenager. I should have read this by now, too, but it's only been out since last October, so I'm not being that bad, am I?

7. The Warded Man by Peter Brett

I won this book from a Goodreads giveaway, so I better read it soon. I considered buying it because another favorite author of mine, Kevin Hearne of Iron Druid Chronicles fame, loves these books. Well, now I can read my copy before I'm considered delinquent to the First Reads people, although I probably already am. It sounds like a good read.

8. Hourglass by Myra McEntire

I bought this book really cheap last year on my Kindle and need to get around to reading it soon. It seems to be about time travel, which is a favorite subject of mine. Hopefully, it'll be a book series to replace the three trilogies I follow that are ending this year.

9. Shades of Earth by Beth Revis

This is another one of my favorite YA book series and this one is the last in the trilogy. This one and a few others, like The Infernal Devices series, are ending this year, which is great, but sad, too. The first two books in Across the Universe are so amazing! Everybody's said awesome things about this one, so I hope I can get to it soon. 

10. Sanctum by Sarah Fine

I found this book when it was really high on the Amazon best-seller list and it looks like something I'd totally love to read. I'm a huge Bleach manga and anime fan and the plot sounds a lot like how it goes, so.... Here's hoping I will like it, but appreciate it for what it is. I don't expect it to be like Bleach or anything else. Just hoping it's as good as the reviews claim it is.

      


Hey, it was fun to do this meme again! Maybe I'll keep it up from now on over here at this blog. What are you guys planning on reading this spring? 

      

23 comments:

  1. I still haven't read The Lost Prince either! Julie's my favorite author but I haven't read it yet. If anyone asks if I've read it I just automatically say yes, I'm too ashamed to admit that it's been on my shelf for a month yet remains unread!

    Also Cinder. That's been on my shelf since the summer but I haven't read it...

    I hope you get all of Spring TBR pile read, I know I'll be reading up a storm come Spring break just to put a dent in it! I hate being a slow reader. (-_-ll)
    Roxy @ Story Envy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Roxanne: I feel like that, too! I didn't read The Immortal Rules for several months after getting it right when it came out. I've had Cinder for the past year. I'm so fail as a reader, lol.

      Thanks for your comment. ;)

      Delete
  2. Hourglass is one I want to read as well as Cinder. Great TBR list and have fun reading!

    Jessica @ Literary, etc

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Jessica: Thanks! I will have as much fun as the books will allow me. :)

      Delete
  3. Cinder is a huge fave of mine! And Hourglass was excellent as well. I definitely need to check out the rest of Beth Revis' books!

    Love your list! New follower BTW

    My TTT -- Carissa Taylor

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Carissa: Good! I'm happy to hear Cinder and Hourglass are awesome books. I'm looking forward to them. And, yes, do read the Across the Universe series in full.

      Thanks for following back. ;)

      Delete
  4. I didn't know Julie Kagawa was writing a spin off series. And I still can't get over how incredibly awesome the covers of the Infernal Devices series is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Lan: Yeah, she is. The Iron King was so great, everybody wanted more! And, those ID covers are the best out there. I love having the hardcovers because they're like works of art. ;)

      Delete
  5. Fantastic list of books, all of these I'm wanting to read myself :D

    I just finished Cinder and really enjoyed it, I'm now waiting to purchase Scarlet.

    My Top Ten.

    I'd like to also extend my invite to list your blog with YA Blogosphere it's a directory listing for all YA-related blogs. If your interested pls email me on yablogosphere@gmail.com.

    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can you also possibly help me as I really want to have threaded comments like you have here but I don't know how to change it in settings...do you know how to do it?

      New Follower btw :D

      Delete
    2. @Angelica: All I did was set my comments to "Embedded" in the area within the Blogger Dashboard that lets you design how your blog comments will look. The threading seems to be automatic after that.

      Thanks for following! I'll go check out your TTT list...;)

      Delete
  6. I got sidetracked with a book I was to supply a blurb for and need to get back to Ali Cross' book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Alex: Oh, yeah, I know who you mean. I have Desolation because it was free YA book, I think. Have fun with whichever book of hers you have. :)

      Delete
  7. Cinder and Cassandra Clare are both on my TBR list, but I probably won't get to them until end of summer. Great pick! Now following you via GFC, btw. :D I have (different) TTTs at Musings on Fantasia and LKHill. Happy Tuesday! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Liesel: It takes so long to get to the books you want to read, doesn't it? Too many books, so little time, lol. Thanks for the follow! I'll go read your TTT posts right now. ;)

      Delete
  8. I love faeries and YA! I can't believe I haven't picked up the Iron Fey yet. I really need to read it. :)

    Nina@J'adore Happy Endings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Nina: You definitely do need to read The Iron Fey series. Best YA faeries books out there! ;)

      Delete
  9. I still have to start the Infernal Devices series, Once I do, I can't wait to read Clockwork Princess! Great list :)

    Here's my Top Ten!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Jessica: ID series is sooooo good! Definitely get started right away if you love YA and historical fiction.

      Delete
  10. I have been reading a lot of good-not-great books lately as well. Luckily, Cinder is AMAZING! I hope it ends up being a great one for you.

    Books of Amber

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Amber: Thanks so much! I really like Cinder so far, so hopefully it will be a 5-star book for me. I need to read a 5-star book again as it has been months since my last one. ;)

      Delete
  11. So many great books in your to-read pile! And personally I loved Shades of Earth! Beth Revis' series is one I would read again (if I ever had time to reread books!).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Cherie: I never get to reread books either. Such a bummer! Who has the time when you're writing and reading books for the first time ALL the time, right? :)

      Delete

I would love to know what you think about this post! Leave me a comment. Thanks so much!

IWSG: The I-Have-Returned Edition... (#37)

The Insecure Writer's Support Group (IWSG) is a monthly support system for blogging writers in need of finding other writers to co...