Wednesday, January 3, 2018

IWSG: The It's-All-Planned Edition... (#33)

The Insecure Writer's Support Group (IWSG) is a monthly support system for blogging writers in need of finding other writers to connect with and share our deepest insecurities in a safe environment. Created by the clever Alex J. Cavanaugh with the expressed purpose to "share and encourage."

This month's optional question: What steps have you taken to put a schedule in place for your writing and publishing?

As of last spring/summer, I figured out "batching" is a scheduling trick that works for me in being productive for things I love to procrastinate. I spend three days per week, always leaving a day in between, just dedicated to writing and doing as little of anything else as possible. They are "writing days," thus they are just for that and not reading, watching TV, playing video games, or going shopping, etc. Just writing. I find I actually have the energy to do the writing with this trick.

It actually works for me really well, so I intend to keep doing that for writing. Right now, I'm doing research on the historical era I'm planning on writing about for a forth-coming Regency romance novel on the docket, but not batching that research, so I probably need to figure out how to do that. I'm having trouble with it. Batching helps me so much, I do it with the dusting because I HATE dusting....

Other than this, the plan is to write this historical romance novel, then write a free newsletter novella of the same genre and then write yet another historical romance novel. Can I do all this in one year? History would say, "no," but it might be worth trying, anyway. I may get a novel completed for a change by trying to get two-and-a-half completed in one year.

As for publishing, well... we'll take things in stride. I need to get used to finishing long novel WIPs first before I go "planning" how to publish said finished drafts.

What have you done to plan out your writing and publishing this year?
 

24 comments:

  1. That's great you have a schedule that works for you. My goal is consistency in smaller time periods because I work. Hope you have a fantastic writing year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Every other day sounds good.
    And I actually like to dust...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think so, too, but I don't understand how anyone can like to dust. 0_o

      Delete
  3. Batching sounds like a great plan. It’s helped me with my cleaning last year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't realize you were doing batching, Jenny! That's so cool! It really works, doesn't it?

      Delete
  4. Batching sounds like a good idea. I know I get more than double the writing done when I double the time I sit down and can write uninterrupted. Trouble is, my writing time comes in bits and pieces, so I just have to take what I get.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Batching helps with productivity to much, but when you can't make the time for it, it can't really help. I hope your system works out for you in the long run.

      Delete
  5. I am so excited for 2018 and what it will bring for your writing career! The batching is such a great idea and sounds like it's really working for you. I think I ended up trying it as well but I'm not good at sticking to schedules and my brain just wants to do what it does without allowing me to diverge.

    Also, I'm super impressed by the depth of research you're doing. That should come through in your novel for sure. Good luck with your goals. And remember that the first draft doesn't have to be perfect. Get it done and then edit which it is the part you love!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to work hard not to let my brain wander and do whatever it wants because I end up being too random that way! I wish it were easier, though.

      I feel like even what research I am doing isn't going to be as deep as it could be, but it'll be enough, I think. At least I really like that era of history. And, I plan on writing a crappy first draft, as I always do, nowadays.

      Delete
  6. I also batch things, and I also write romance. I'm currently revising a YA romance. I'd like to write a couple of books this year, as well. And I'm turning my blog back into a book review blog, which will be a lot of work (reading and reviewing), but it's a strategy to get known before being published.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to keep a book review blog, but I closed it down because keeping two blogs is really hard and my writing blog is more important to me.

      Delete
  7. That's great that you can stick to a schedule! I've always been terrible at sticking to one myself, but I really do need to push myself more this year. Good luck with all of your goals!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think if I can stick to a schedule, anyone can! It's hard for me, actually, but I need to get my writing career going. I hope you figure out how to make a schedule and stick to it!

      Delete
  8. Interesting post. I've never heard of batching before this. Would love to hear more about this technique for organization and getting more done. Sounds like you've figured out something that works for you, which puts you in an enviable position compared to many of the rest of us. I don't currently have a system that works for me, but I'm trying out something new for 2018. I wrote about it over on my blog, if you're curious. Thanks for the post, and happy writing. Also, happy 2018 to you! May it bring you joy and wonder. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will go and read about this system you are trying out for yourself this new year. I'm intrigued. Happy 2018 to you, too!

      Delete
  9. Batching... I love your name for this process (I call it tides of writing, the ebbs and flows of productivity and dealing with "other things"). Whatever the name... it does work. (and discovering I'm not the only one who does this makes it easier for me to accept that it's acceptable to not write every day, the way so many seem to say we should.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't make up the word "batching." I think I would have called it something else not so cool, but it works whether I named it or not. I used to believe, too, that writing every single day was necessary to be a proper writer, but 'tis not the case. I'm actually MORE productive and writer-y when I'm not writing every single day.

      Delete
  10. It sounds like you've found your process, so I'm sure you'll make great strides toward your goals. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe I have! Thanks for your encouragement. I hope the best for your goals this year, too! Happy 2018!

      Delete
  11. Glad you found a schedule that works for you. It makes sense to keep "batching" since you are very productive when you have your writing days. Wishing you the best of luck with your writing in 2018. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yay for a working schedule. Good luck on the historical romances--I love them. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. You know, I find I write like that too--in cycles. Sometimes I'm in a reading cycle, sometimes a music cycle, sometimes a writing cycle. And they rotate through. About once a month I hit each, or once every two months. Sometimes it's best just to go with it, eh?

    ReplyDelete

I would love to know what you think about this post! Leave me a comment. Thanks so much!

IWSG: The I-Have-Returned Edition... (#37)

The Insecure Writer's Support Group (IWSG) is a monthly support system for blogging writers in need of finding other writers to co...