Wednesday, December 6, 2017

IWSG: The I-Can't-List-Everything-In-One-Post Edition... (#32)

The Insecure Writer's Support Group (IWSG) is a monthly support system for blogging writers in need of finding other writers to connect with and share our deepest insecurities in a safe environment. Created by the clever Alex J. Cavanaugh with the expressed purpose to "share and encourage."

This month's question: As you look back on 2017, with all its successes and failures, if you could backtrack, what would you do differently?

What a loaded question! (For me, at least.) There are just too many things I wish I would have done differently this year, even limited to writing. I'm not perfect enough to look back and be so proud that nothing needs tweaking. I won't air out all those grievances, but I'll cough up one or two of the best (worst) ones.

It's like I imagine authors would say on their death beds, like how most regular people say they don't wish they'd spent more time at the office because they wish they'd have spent more time with loved ones. Maybe authors say they wish they'd written more. I definitely wish I'd written more this year. 

I spent some time learning a lot about how to write, and while that was not time wasted at all, I did end up spending time getting sidetracked by other non-writing projects just because they had been looming over my head for months and years needing to get done. I wanted to get them done before fully launching myself into writing a couple of novels I plan on writing afterwards, which is now something I still need to do starting early next year.

The next thing is I wish I'd gotten more outlines planned/mapped out for my stories because they take such a LONG time to outline. I'm finally outlining the best way for me, which means long, detailed outlines, but, man... they take forever to get done! It's worth it, though. I need all that hand-holding when I write a first draft because I got lost in the forest of my long stories very easily. Guess I need to learn to speed-outline.

I suppose that's enough from me. Any more, and I'll be writing a novel-length blog post that will need to be outlined before I can even attempt to write it!

Would you do anything differently from this year concerning your writing?  Just me?
 

20 comments:

  1. I do a lot of my outlining during the writing of the first draft. Maybe not the most efficient method, but all the outlines I do before the first draft end up getting trashed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to have a full outline finished before I start a first draft, or I'll never be able to finish the draft.

      Delete
  2. Yes, I wish that i wrote more too. But it is important to get those non-writing projects done too. I have some that I really need to do too. I wish I could do an extensive outline, but I have to do it as I go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those non-writing projects really get in the way, don't they? They have to get done, though. Glad they are done and out of my way now, but they set me back a few months. I'll just have to make up for it next year.

      Delete
  3. Taking the time to learn the craft is definitely never a waste of time. I prefer outlining too. My longest outline so far was over 15,000 words, and I could have written more. But it will help when you get set to writing the novel. Or at least give you a good idea where you want to go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a long outline! But, probably as long as I need. I just need to write them until they're done, however long. I need that through plan before I start a draft.

      Delete
  4. I take months to outline, usually longer than it takes to write the first draft. I can relate!
    I doubt in the end I'll regret not writing more though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, composing a story takes longer than writing it!

      Delete
  5. I do think it's important to complete those outside projects that nag at us. Then we're free to focus on the writing. I'm new to IWSG, so ... good to meet you! Have a great holiday season and best wishes for 2018. Write more!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice to me you, Cathy! I hope I can remember your name. ;)

      I agree completely about those nagging projects. I'm glad they're done for me because they won't come back for a very long time again. I was so annoyed throughout because I knew my writing was getting left undone, but it's okay now. Have a great Holiday/Christmas season, too!

      Delete
  6. Hang in there! I’m obsessed with outlining too but it never helped me finish a book. I think that was the fear. Oh well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe a different technique or approach to writing would have been better for you?

      Delete
  7. You're definitely right about writing always wishing they could've written more. I have a fear that there will be stories I would've really wanted to write but won't be able to before I die.

    I also do long, detailed outlines. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I fear that, too! I am a slow writer, so I definitely worry a bit about not living long enough to write every story.

      Delete
  8. I always wish I wrote more words, but under the circumstances I think I did the best I could. I'm always afraid of saying I would change something, because if you change one thing, who knows what else would happen??? Butterfly effect and all that... :-P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a good attitude to have. I'm pretty happy with what I did accomplish for the year, actually. It was an eye-opening year for me!

      Delete
  9. I'm a total panster and envy outliners--I've tried but it never works out well for me (or my WIP). ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so interesting. Everybody's different! You have to do whatever works for you, so there's no need to envy outliners.

      Delete
  10. I think half the process of writing is coming to the point where you recognize your own strengths and weaknesses, and learning how to then overcome them. Good on you for figuring out the outlining! If I outline in detail, I will just change everything when the characters point out that I'm being an idiot. My subconscious is a powerful tool and usually I just have to let it guide me...after minor outlining. Here's to a new year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, and it can take years to come to that point where you can detect your own strengths and weaknesses. I know it has for me, but it's a very hard skill to acquire--that is, authoring fiction.

      Happy New Year to you, too!

      Delete

I would love to know what you think about this post! Leave me a comment. Thanks so much!

IWSG: The I-Have-Returned Edition... (#37)

The Insecure Writer's Support Group (IWSG) is a monthly support system for blogging writers in need of finding other writers to co...