Monday, January 18, 2016

My Thoughts on Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (HP#4)



This post is a sort of review/discussion of this book. I feel like talking about the books I've been reading lately, seeing as how I'm finally reading some really amazing novels this year. Last year's novels all kind of stunk, for lack of a better phrase.

I admit, a bit embarrassingly, that I didn't start reading the Harry Potter books until 2012, and I was not 12-years-old only four years ago. I could have and probably should have started reading them way back when the first book was published in 1997, when I was 21. The thing is, adults didn't read children's books back in those days. For those who may be a bit younger than myself, the Harry Potter books were the first children's books read on a massive scale by adults as well as children. (Unless I'm overlooking something else.)


So, knowing how my oldest brother, much older than me, was loving even the first book, after buying it for his daughters, really puzzled me. He was in his forties at the time and I just couldn't believe a book meant for 11-year-olds was so good, even parents were obsessing over it. A totally bonkers situation, and I wrote it off. I figured I didn't need to bother because I wouldn't really like them, anyway.

I saw all the movies and really enjoyed them (despite forgetting most of them by now), but they didn't inspire me to read the books. One day at Wal-Mart, I happened to pass by the collection for sale and decided to buy Book 1 in paperback on a whim. It sat on my shelf, collecting dust, until about five years later. I had started keeping a book review blog by then and decided it was time to just read the dang thing. Keeping up with the book Jones's, and all that....

So, I read it and it was really great! I think these books are the best you can find in children's Middle Grade fiction. I love the voice used to narrate the story and all the little ingenius fantasy, magical elements Rowling invents for the world building. It's astonishing and gets more so in later volumes.

But, the problem for me with Book 1, and Books 2 and 3, is that they are really, at heart, just children's books. Middle Grade novels for kids. Me and this reading grade don't get along very well. When I read books written for these younger audiences, I always feel like something is missing and falling flat. While I can see their merit--it's hard not to with the HP books!--I can't help but always feel underwhelmed at the end of the day. I am a lover of Young Adult and Adult fiction because that's what resonates with me best, and Middle Grade cannot be anything other than what it is.

After reading the first three books, I moved on to Book 4 and it started out very similarly to all of the others that came before it--except that it was very, very detailed and verbose. The book is over 700 pages long, nearly twice as long as Book 3! I couldn't begin to comprehend why at the beginning. Everything was going along as usual as I read it--enjoyable and always worthwhile, but a little "meh."

Until I got about two-thirds finished. Suddenly, I felt like I was reading a different novel altogether. As many of you know--just abut everyone else has read ALL the books except me--the book takes a startlingly dark turn towards the end! Harry is going through experiences that would terrify even the most hardened mature adult in the world. I won't write spoilers just in case, but, let's face it--I don't need to worry about spoiling anyone.

I finally started to get really into the story at that point. Harry's world becomes truly grim and he finally goes from being a mostly well-protected protagonist by his author-mummy to being fed to the wolves. Fantastic! While the writing stayed simplistic as it had been from the beginning, the content turned into a Young Adult novel, and now I'm hooked!

I was considering quitting the series as I trudged along in this book before getting to the really juicy stuff, but I change my mind. I'm going to read the heck out of the rest of them, now! I even have Book 5 waiting for me on a shelf and I sneaked a peak at the first two chapters because I couldn't wait to see what was in store. I can already tell it's a YA novel in every way, shape and form. Hurray for teenage Harry!

Anyway, needless to say, I loved this book and found even the most mundane, pointless thing, like Hermione pulling a wayward beetle out of her hair, had been counted for and wrapped up in a neatly tied bow by the end. What a near-masterpiece this book is. I have no doubt I'll love the rest of the series.

 

What are your thoughts on the Harry Potter books? Read them, love them? Or, not so much?

13 comments:

  1. As the character grew up, so did the books.
    Saw all the movies and since neither middle grade nor young adult is my style, I probably won't read the books. (Which would take me about two years since I am a really slow reader.) But I did like that the movies' tones shifted as the character went from child to adult.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm shocked someone else hasn't read the books already! But, in your case, it makes sense. They can't be right for everyone because not everyone likes books for children or adolescents.

      Delete
  2. Wow! I had no idea you hadn't read HP. Crazy! I'm glad you're liking teen Harry more. I hope you love all the rest of the books too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not crazy when you consider that many people were too old for the books to mean anything to them when they first came out. But, I'm glad I'm reading them now because the later books are YA novels and I love YA.

      Delete
  3. I wasn't a fan of the series when I was an actual young adult (mostly because I was clueless about the books)but I started reading them when I was about 22 and read the entire series up to book 6 in less than a week and then I read book 7 in 2 days when it came out! I remember skipping work on day to read it. I wouldn't necessarily categorize its audience as middle grade though as so many adults can relate to everything that happens in HP. There are themes in there from the very beginning that strike a cord with readers regardless of age. And who doesn't want to live in a world of magical wonder? I'm glad you're enjoying them more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had no idea, Lan! I figured you grew up reading the books, so it's cool that you came to them a little later. I think they are Middle Grade books because of so many other features and while they can be read by adults and be relatable, they are the safe versions of stories meant for kids. Rowling is just so good at storytelling, she can write for all audiences even when writing for kids.

      Delete
  4. I got into the series in 2001 when the first movie came out. I devoured them and read them again when each new book came out. They definitely grow up along with the characters. They are books I would love to read again, although I'm not quite ready for the sobfest since I know what will happen and knowing how certain actors have died (RIP Alan Rickman!).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! RIP Alan Rickman. I cried when I found out about his death. He was more to me than just Snape. Just a legendary actor who died too young, I think.

      Delete
  5. The fifth book does seem to drag a bit until Harry finally gets back to the school, if I recall correctly. Apparently, Rowling wasn't as interested in letting others help edit that particular book, and I think it shows.

    I personally think the biggest draw of the series was the humor--some would call it British humor-- and she kept the same humor going even as the books transitioned from MG to YA. I'm trying to capture that same humor in my Hogwarts story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll keep in mind to expect the story to perhaps drag a bit, Ken. Thanks.

      I agree that the humor is awesome, especially in Book 2! I loved that book so much just on the humor alone. It's very Dickensian from my own experience of having read a lot of Dickens.

      Delete
  6. How delightful that you gave them a try after all these years and are really enjoying them! Despite the fact adults are reading MG and YA now, I find myself very impatient with those age groups. I think if you've been through a lot of difficulties in your life, teen worries and problems just aren't realistic. But super clever of JK to realize her target audience were getting older and she had to up the ante. She's so smart! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, Rowling was smart to realize that her audience wasn't still only 11-years-old as they continued to read the series. Harry and all of them needed to experience some REAL conflict, for a change.

      Have a great weekend, too! ;)

      Delete
  7. Hat his was my absolute favorite book of the series--until I got to book 7 :). Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows really was a masterpiece; Rowling really used all the build up of every other novel to deliver such an amazing conclusion. I hope you enjoy the rest of the books!
    Ninja Girl

    ReplyDelete

I would love to know what you think about this post! Leave me a comment. Thanks so much!

IWSG: The I-Have-Returned Edition... (#37)

The Insecure Writer's Support Group (IWSG) is a monthly support system for blogging writers in need of finding other writers to co...