Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Book Review: Shadow and Bone by Leigh Bardugo

Time for me to write a review and shout about another amazing book I just read!



Shadow and Bone
 by Leigh Bardugo

Reading Grade: Young Adult
Genre: High Fantasy
My Rating: 5/5 stars

Every now and then, you read a book that makes you remember the reason you love to read. Shadow and Bone is just this kind of book for me. It’s one of those novels you can read and read, and keep reading without even realizing how much time is actually going by in real life as you read it. When you have to put the book down and go do something else that needs your attention, you want to read just one more page, or chapter….

Shadow and Bone is a high fantasy young adult novel set in a fictional world based on Imperial Russia. Yep. Right there you already know you have something different, probably even special (and you do). It’s about a teen girl named Alina Starkov from a country called Ravka who discovers she’s a Grisha—basically a person with magical abilities. She’s not only a Grisha, but the special kind that comes around every century, or even less often. Because of this, she is whisked away to the capitol of Ravka for her own protection and to be trained to use her powers.

There is, of course, romance, but it’s not heavy-handed as you would expect. Let’s face it—YA tends to focus so much on the romance that not much else about the stories have any substance. Not the case here. There is plenty of plot and real things going on, political things even. The author finds little opportunities to sneak in a bit of romantic tension here and there without making it all about those moments. It’s done so artfully.

But, the best part about the story is Alina herself. She is full of sarcasm and even a little sardonic humor. She’s realistic and reacts how people would actually react to the strange and fanciful situations she’s forced into. I liked Genya, her sort-of best female friend character, Mal, her crush and long-time best friend, Baghra, her magic teacher, and even the ever mysterious and complicated Darkling. The relationships she has with all of these characters is delicious.

I know this book came out about two years ago and I’m only now reading it, so I feel a little slow. But, it takes a while to get around to certain books with a to-be-read pile stacked to the ceiling, you know? If you haven’t gotten around to this one, I highly suggest you do. Make sure to imagine Alina with a Russian accent as she tells you her story. The entire story will sound so much better and more fitting in your head that way, particularly with her personality.


13 comments:

  1. This book sounds awesome! I've seen the cover many times but never actually knew what it was about. Just added it to my Goodreads to-read list so I don't forget about it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Rachel: It IS awesome! I hope you enjoy it as much as I did. :)

      Delete
  2. I always feel like I'm behind on all the good book trends as well. But it doesn't really matter when you get to reading a book. Even 2 years after! I am intrigued by this Darkling character because everyone seems to have only good things to say about him. Glad the romance isn't all encompassing in this book as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Lan: I think the Darkling is intriguing because we all want to know what he'll do in the next book. I can't say too much because it would be spoilery for anyone who would happen to be reading my reply. But, I'd say there are both good and bad things about him. That's largely why he's interesting.

      Delete
  3. Okay, so I checked the book out on Amazon and liked it enough to buy it. Thanks for the recommendation. What really convinced me was your comment about the romance not being the driving force for the story. I don't mind some romance, I just don't want the rest of the story to be little more than an excuse for the romance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Ken: That's great! I don't mind some romance, too, unless I want to read a romance novel. But, fantasy is fantasy, not romance. I hope you do enjoy the book, Ken. ;)

      Delete
  4. It feels great to find a book you love, especially if it's part of a series. I've heard very good things about this book (though I have to say I think the "Chosen One" trope is overused in fantasy). But considering you and I are both feeling under the weather, it's crucial to have good books to read when you're curled up in bed! I hope you get better soon! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Lexa: The "Chosen One" trope is definitely overused in YA, not just fantasy. You're so right about that! I think it's just easier for authors to use it than to just pick a person to star in a story who has no good reason to be the main character.

      Anyway, thanks for your well-wishes! I hope you get better soon, too. I've had enough of bed rest to last me for a long time. :)

      Delete
  5. I love finding stories like this. Be assured, I'll be checking this out. :-)

    Anna from Shout with Emaginette

    ReplyDelete
  6. This one has been on my to-read list for a long time. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to know what you think about this post! Leave me a comment. Thanks so much!

IWSG: The I-Have-Returned Edition... (#37)

The Insecure Writer's Support Group (IWSG) is a monthly support system for blogging writers in need of finding other writers to co...