Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Insecure Writers' Support Group (#9)



Insecure Writer's Support Group (IWSG) is a really awesome meme that you should be doing along with the rest of us writers. Unless you truly are happy with your writing and don't feel the need to vent about your insecurities because they don't exist for you. But, really.... Don't they?  
IWSG is hosted by Captain Ninja Alex at his blog, Alex J. Cavanaugh.


As some readers of my blog may already be aware, I've had problems crashing and burning when it comes to my writing in the recent past. It has not been pretty nor fun. I had gotten to the point where writing was so painful, I began to really dislike it and prefer doing anything else besides. And I want to do this for a living!

I had to do some realizing about why this was happening to me, since it hadn't ever happened before. So, I let this issue percolate in the back of my mind for a while, as I tend to do when trying to do damage control in my life (when am I ever NOT doing damage control?!).

I found a book on how to become more prolific (The 7 Secrets of the Prolific: [...] by Hillary Rettig) and the section on perfectionism really stuck out for me. I definitely needed to get over my perfectionism issues and just let myself write crap when composing my first drafts. Why I wasn't doing this, I'm not sure. I just didn't want to make mistakes, period. But, I realize now that it's okay to make them when first writing a draft, and even afterwards. I think I made an important breakthrough there.

But, that was hardly all I needed to do. I still felt very stuck and very unhappy when writing. Just my perfectionism alone wasn't all that was stifling me, clearly. I thought more and more about what made me love writing back when I was doing it for fun. And, something I had heard J.K. Rowling say in an interview once about why her Harry Potter books are so popular popped into my mind and wouldn't leave: she said, according to thousands of fan letters, it had to have been the characters she created that made her books endearing.

I thought about all that I had been writing since I wanted to write with the intention of publishing. It wasn't that I hated what I had been writing. It was that I wasn't writing characters that I could fall in love with anymore. That was the difference. It all occurred to me after figuring out that I used to write characters that made me love to write about them, and I had somehow, without realizing, stopped doing it.

When I love any book I read, truly love it, it's always, always, always because there's at least one if not more than one character in the book that I liked a lot, or even loved. That's it. That's why I read and that's also why I write. I'm a character-person above everything else.

I decided to zero-in on my newest characters in my current work-in-progress to ensure they were making me find them endearing. With a little effort on my part, I've been writing better characters, at least as far as I'm concerned, and really loving to write again! 

In the end, I don't even care if my characters don't enchant anybody else. Maybe everyone else will find them boring--who knows? For now, they need to be right for me and make me happy. All I've been wanting is to love writing again and I had to rediscover what it was that made me love it in the first place. Now, if I could only make myself remember this in the long run......

 

20 comments:

  1. I think this is why I read - and write - for kids and teens. I get so fed up with reading about this or that award winning adult book that it's "beautiful writing". If it doesn't have characters I can care about, I don't give a stuff about the vocabulary. It does, of course, also have to have a story I can love. :) I don't want to read about divorce in th suburbs - or, for that matter, about a girl who seriously needs to get a life falling in love with a powerful abusive and possibly undead man.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Sue: You actually have a really good point, Sue! Beautiful writing is nice, but it's not why I read anything. Some few people might read mostly for that reason, but I doubt most regular people do. Characters are one of the bigger draws for most readers, I think, besides story and genre. Maybe even themes and artistry, but those aren't high on my list, either.

      Delete
  2. I think if you truly enjoy writing your characters and can connect with them, then your readers will too. Just keep writing! (:

    ReplyDelete
  3. Perfectionist - I can relate!
    Characters are the pivotal point of a story for me.
    Glad you figured it out and feel better about writing again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Alex: Thanks so much. Glad to see someone else feels that characters are their most important aspect of a story.

      Delete
  4. What a great epiphany, Cathy! It's so important for us as writers to know what makes us love reading in order to love our own writing. I'm so glad that you were able to make some easy tweaks and get back on track. ^_^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Beverly: It is! Yeah, I'm surprised I got so far off track with my own writing and forgot why I loved it a long time ago.

      Delete
  5. This reminds me of Rick Nelson's Garden party, "you can't please everyone, so you've got to please yourself." I'm glad you are finding your way. It's encouraging. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Molly: I agree with this. I know pleasing everyone will be impossible, especially if pleasing myself is so hard. I realize that's all I really need to do, though. It's just me that needs to be happy. That's the true drive to write.

      Delete
  6. As long as your book makes you happy, don't worry about anyone else while writing the first draft. The first draft is where we play and generate material, explore all the avenues. This way we get to know the characters and the world better, so the excess words are not wasted, they're simply research. In the second draft and then onwards, we take the knowledge we gained and put it to work, to really write the story. All the best with your work ahead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Damyanti: Thanks! I'm finally starting to understand that the first draft is for me and for generating the story and characters. They can be as bad as they need to be at that stage and it's okay with me now. I hope this allows me to at least get a first draft completed.

      Delete
  7. Great characters really make a book memorable. Maybe if you work harder on pleasing yourself, your characters will come alive for your readers. Great IWSG post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Kim: I'd like to believe that making my characters right for me may lead them to being likable to others. Let's hope it works out that way!

      Delete
  8. I know just how you feel. It's very hard for me to get over my need to edit constantly during a first draft. I just can't press on if I know there's a big pile of crap behind me. I'm having a really rough time because of "writing for publication" too. I've been trying desperately for a year to come up with something "high concept." I've started a few projects and abandoned them. I'm so glad focusing on character is helping you out of your rut. Wishing you more enjoyment and less aggravation. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Lexa: Thanks so much! Focusing on my characters has not only helped me out of my rut, but has even helped me compose the story better. It's been able to come alive, I think.

      Delete
  9. It's so important to remember that first drafts don't need to be perfect. I have a tendency to want them to be perfect too, and when I think that way, no writing gets done. I'm so glad you're finding what works for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Cherie: Thank you! I'm so glad, too. I hope I can keep in mind that my first drafts are supposed to be messy and it's part of the process. It's so hard to get any writing done when you're unable to allow for the crap to be written in that stage.

      Delete
  10. Yay! So great that you're loving writing again! I'm also character-driven, as a reader and as a writer. I completely get Sue Bursztynski's comment! I can certainly appreciate beautiful, award-winning writing, but it's the characters and the story that I'm after :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Rach: Thanks! Good to know you're a character-driven reader and writer, too. If the characters just don't grab me, I tend to not care about anything else in a story too much. :)

      Delete

I would love to know what you think about this post! Leave me a comment. Thanks so much!

IWSG: The I-Have-Returned Edition... (#37)

The Insecure Writer's Support Group (IWSG) is a monthly support system for blogging writers in need of finding other writers to co...