Sunday, September 22, 2013

My Post-It Notes Novel



As a writer, over time, I've only gotten weirder. I've gotten to the point where I can't finish any draft I start and have now resorted to writing my novels on Post-It Notes just so I can have the story organized and out of my head.

I discovered this idea from reading Roz Morris' novel, Nail Your Novel: Why Writers Abandon Books and How You Can Draft, Fix and Finish with Confidence. I have to say, so far it's actually working! I'm about half-way finished writing up all the different scenes and snippets I want to include in my first draft. Half-way! That is so big for me. It's odd, but I really feel like I'm writing the manuscript already, even though I'm not literally doing that, yet. But, composing a cohesive, viable story is half the battle.

What I love most about this little tactic is that I can add and remove scenes so incredibly easily. I'm figuring out what works and what doesn't long before any prose is being typed up in "stone" on that computer. I realize I have a huge dislike, or dread for trying to find something I wrote within a sea of literally thousands of words in order to axe it, add to it or move it around. Of course, this has to be done during every author's editing phase, but at least I can do some of that axing, adding and moving before those scenes ever gets lost in that abyss known as a Word document.

Life made easier! That's progress for me. I've been in a horrible writing slump lately and this is really helping me to move past it. I never thought I'd actually be writing an entire novel on Post-It Notes, but now I can see myself doing this with every story I write from now on.


Have you ever tried anything off-beat or bizarre in order to get out of a writing slump?

14 comments:

  1. When you're in a long writing slump even the weird can become wonderful. Sounds like you've really tapped into a good technique to help you write without it feeling like you're putting too much pressure on yourself. Hope it all goes well and you're post it notes turn into a full novel.

    Make sure you keep every note. They may be worth something in the long run :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Lan: Yeah, I'll be sure to keep every note, but there's a lot already and a few may take to trying to escape!

      Delete
  2. If it has you writing, do it! Not tried post it notes, but I do tend to outline a story to death before I begin writing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Alex: Exactly! I think the Post-Its are easier to move around than words written on an outline for me, anyway.

      Delete
  3. Yay! I'm so glad to hear you're writing again!

    I one time wrote a novel based on randomizing the scenes. I would have the basics of the scenes written out, and then I would use random.org to pick what scene I would work on that day. It was a lot of fun, although I don't know if I'd do it again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Cherie: Me, too! Randomizing the scenes sounds interesting. I'm sure it kept you from getting bored. I'll keep that trick in mind if I feel the need to use it. Thanks. :)

      Delete
  4. Whatever works. I have always written scenes in my head and hoped I coud write up to them. At least those are done. More recently, because it was too much to scroll through a complete MS file and fiddly to do one file at a time - you miss things - I actually pasted the lot into an ebook. I can't rewrite, but I can make notes as I go and THEN rewrite.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Sue: I've kept scenes in my head until the 1st draft, but I think it helps me to know the story will work out beforehand if I get them all out of my head, first.

      Delete
  5. All the time. I started a completely different story for a completely different medium to help inspire me to keep working on my other story. Writing is a bizarre vocation. You have to keep trying things until you find something that works.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @J.E.: Yes, it certainly is a bizarre vocation. I suppose any work that requires intense creativity will require crazy antics. Like you said, you have to keep trying things to find what works.

      Delete
  6. It's great that you've found something that works for you! Anything that helps you put butt in chair and get out some words is wonderful. Writing well is so much harder than people think (at least it is for me). I've had different working styles for each one of my novels and short stories. There's no easy answer. You just have to keep plugging away! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Lexa: Writing well is very hard for me, too, and much harder than most people think. I'm trying to keep it simple for this novel, but length creates complexity all on its own. I need to be able to navigate easily around my story.

      I agree. You have to keep plugging away!

      Delete
  7. I've definitely gotten weirder too. Or maybe, I just don't try to contain my weirdness as much as I used to. (;
    The post it idea is one I may have to try out. It sounds like a good way to get a general outline done. I've got a third project in my head and if I can get the outline done, I may enter NaNo this year. Maybe. (:

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Elise: LOL! Getting weirder is the only way to go.

      Post-It notes, or the like, are a great way to get the story straight before you have to type it up on a document, which is just so hard to change once done. Good luck with NaNo if you enter this year!

      Delete

I would love to know what you think about this post! Leave me a comment. Thanks so much!

IWSG: The I-Have-Returned Edition... (#37)

The Insecure Writer's Support Group (IWSG) is a monthly support system for blogging writers in need of finding other writers to co...