Monday, January 28, 2013

Happy 200th Birthday, Pride and Prejudice!




This is an unprecedented time to be alive if you are a fan of Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice. Exactly 200 years ago today (28th January), her iconic novel was published and the literary world has never been the same since. 

Without question, Pride and Prejudice has endured the decades and centuries of classic literature like no other work because, unlike many that also endure, it is still avidly read for pleasure. Not many are nowadays. But, P&P continues to draw people to it year after year, decade after decade, as if it had been published only a few years ago. 

What makes this one piece of fiction endure so well? What makes us crave it over and over again, because we all have read it more than once, haven't we? You can't eat just one potato chip anymore than you can read Pride and Prejudice only once.

I'll say for myself that I adore the intelligent characters first (my personal favorite is Mr. Bingley) and, then, how constantly the story evolves without ever sagging into a boring part. It is always witty and insightful. The attention to detail is astounding concerning how humans behave according to how they are treated and how they must behave because their society's decorum demands it.

Most importantly, the story wisks me away to a time and culture that doesn't exist anymore and only existed for a brief period, at that. And, when decorum flies out the window at a constant rate in our degrading society, this world that Austen not only created, but was literally a part of becomes all the more attractive to a person stuck in our world.

It has an elegance and charm that never fades and a smartness that stands the test of time. I've loved this story for many years and I will always love it. I love that so many people all over the world still love it after 200 long years! 

Happy Birthday, Pride and Prejudice! If only Ms. Austen could be here now. I'm sure she never could have imagined how enduring our love for her wonderful story and characters could be. Here's to another 200 years!

    

8 comments:

  1. Jane would be really surprised it's still so popular.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Alex: Yeah, I agree. I'm sure she would be shocked. ;)

      Delete
  2. Wow! 200 years is a long time to have a book still read and loved. This one has been on my to-read shelf forever too. *sighs*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Cherie: I know, isn't it? You need to read this right away. You'll love it! :D

      Delete
  3. My favorite part was the zombies, I think. Kidding. :P

    Though I will be honest, Pride & Prejudice is one of those classics I haven't read yet. I blame my high school teachers for making it unattractive. But it made its way onto my to-read list once I got a little older and realized I didn't have to hate every book they tried to force me to read in high school. I just haven't got around to this one as yet.

    Soon though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @James: That's cool! No worries. It makes sense to me for people to be wary of reading it because so many have been. But, they usually read it and fall in love with it, after all. ;)

      Delete
  4. This is so cool! I wonder if Jane Austen had any idea her books would still be read and turned into movies (or plays in her day) after such a long time. Go Jane! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Lexa: I'm sure she had no idea her books would still be so popular 200 years down the line. She probably never even thought of future peoples 200 years in her future. That's what makes it so much more interesting!

      Delete

I would love to know what you think about this post! Leave me a comment. Thanks so much!

IWSG: The I-Have-Returned Edition... (#37)

The Insecure Writer's Support Group (IWSG) is a monthly support system for blogging writers in need of finding other writers to co...