Wednesday, April 6, 2016

IWSG: The Writer's Block Edition, Part 2? (#24)

Insecure Writers' Support Group (IWSG) is a really awesome meme that you should be doing along with the rest of us writers. Unless you truly are happy with your writing and don't feel the need to vent about your insecurities because they don't exist for you. But, really.... Don't they?  
IWSG is hosted by Captain Ninja Alex at his blog, Alex J. Cavanaugh.


This month is really just like last month. I'm still stuck in a writer's rut and not able to figure out very well what I want to do with my manuscript. I have some ideas that I didn't have last month, but it all seems so overwhelming for some reason.

Maybe my imagination is exaggerating this, but it feels like I have this enormous task ahead of me and I just can't bring myself to tackle it. It's like having to solve a very large jigsaw puzzle and you're not even sure you have every piece needed to complete it. I'm honestly really bad at jigsaw puzzles and don't like them, so this is an apt analogy for me.

I wanted to publish a book this year, but this is looking like it's not going to happen, which is not the end of the world. It sucks to have to fail at a goal, but I didn't realize my goal was so improbable at the time I made it. I can still hope for next year, provided I can get this first draft finished some day. 

The good thing is I'm still very interested in my story and am not getting bored with it or the characters. When that happens, I know my story is toast. I won't continue to write something that is no longer holding my interest, just like how I won't continue to read a book that is not intriguing me. With few exceptions, I'm a character-person over plot, so I have to really love the characters in a story to keep me going, and likewise, I have to love my own characters enough to tough it out with a long manuscript.

Already some of my ideas for future stories are falling by the wayside because the characters aren't very interesting to me anymore. But, my current manuscript has an already beloved character, Mr. Darcy from Pride and Prejudice, so I don't think I'll be getting bored with him anytime soon. He's been a favorite for many years now, so there's a silver lining in that dark cloud!

Do you ever get bored with your stories before or after writing them? What hooks you into a story--character or plot?

  

18 comments:

  1. I've gotten with a few stories while writing them, and those are the ones sitting unfinished on my hard drive. I wish you the best of luck with your book. Though you may not get a book published this year, it's more important that it be finished, polished, and ready to greet the world when it does go out. You can do it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, L.G.! You are so right. It's more important to publish a truly polished, ready-for-the-world book than to make a goal on-time.

      Delete
  2. I relate to your struggle with this manuscript. I had the same with a trilogy which I published way too early, forcing myself to achieve the goal. I removed the first two books now because I just cannot get through the seemingly mammoth task of book three. I hope this changes sometime in the future, but if not, I'm not going to pressurise myslef any longer.

    Best of luck with your Darcy story - don't we all just love a brooding billionaire? :)

    shahwharton.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry to hear about your troubled trilogy. As long as you do the right thing for you, you'll be all right. Goals are great, but sometimes, we lose sight of what's important and it's important to publish when you're truly ready.

      Delete
  3. Hang on to Mr. Darcy!
    A good book needs both, but I probably identify first with the characters. I certainly do in my own writing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I won't let him go--I promise! True, a good book needs character and plot, but people just favor one or the other. Good to hear you like character first, as well.

      Delete
  4. Hey, I'm beginning to acknowledge that my book won't be finished as soon as I had hoped either. And you're right, it's no the end of the world.

    I've been struggling with one of my chapters now for the last month or two, trying to decide how to do it. I think I've finally figured it out, but I thought that last month too. We'll see.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it sucks, but is not the end of the world. It just means I'm not ready for this year to be my publishing year. Next year is very likely, so I'm excited. Next year may be yours, too.

      Delete
  5. I sometimes get bored editing the same story over and over, but I usually always find something that pulls me back in. Every. Single. Time. It's better not to rush publishing your first book. You only have one debut. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure editing the same story several times would get boring. I can only imagine it, lol. I get bored with the first draft, sadly.

      Thanks for your advice. You are so right. ;)

      Delete
  6. Perhaps it's time for some fresh eyes on what you've already written in order to help you work out what needs to be done to move things along? Otherwise don't worry about the time it's taking you to write. We all have our own paces.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I just need to give myself lots of time. Of course I welcome fresh eyes, but not until a second or third draft. I need to get down my vision for the story before someone else gives me theirs. My pacing is slow, but it is what it is. I guess I can be grateful it exists at all!

      Delete
  7. Not losing interest in your characters or plot is a good thing. Don't worry about timing. It'll all work out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jenny! For me, staying interested in a story and characters is a big deal. It may sound silly to others, but I truly get so bored and lose interest in my own stuff all the time. I wonder I should even be trying to get into this industry, lol.

      Delete
  8. I sympathize in every way. I hate the actual task of writing. First drafts make me feel like I'm the crappiest writer alive, so why not just give up? Characters and stories bore me around the halfway point and then it's a real slog to try to finish. And the more deadlines I set for myself, the more my rebellious side refuses to meet them. The only two things that help me (and perhaps you) is when I forgive myself for missing deadlines and tell myself I'm "free" to never write again if I choose. This usually tricks the rebellious side of me into shutting up! lol Second, I know that it will take many drafts to produce a polished piece of work - no one writes great from the get go - so I shouldn't be so down on myself for writing crap first (second, third, fourth...) drafts. The pride at the end, when the book is ready to go, overshadows all the pain of creating it. Wishing you strength for writing and tolerance for yourself. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the advice, Lexa! I think it will help me out. I'm also glad to find someone else dealing with the same writing issues I have. I get rebellious, too, and just want to do whatever I want, as if writing were not it, lol. I want to write, but have so much trouble making myself do it! I'll try your way of shutting up my rebellious side. Wishing you luck in your writing, too. ;)

      Delete
  9. The struggle with writing is real. Don't worry about it, everything will come out alright in the end.

    https://ficklemillennial.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your optimism! Appreciate your post.

      Delete

I would love to know what you think about this post! Leave me a comment. Thanks so much!

IWSG: The I-Have-Returned Edition... (#37)

The Insecure Writer's Support Group (IWSG) is a monthly support system for blogging writers in need of finding other writers to co...