Wednesday, February 17, 2016

My Thoughts on The Martian by Andy Weir

Here's another great book I read back in January. I'm very happy to be reading some good books, since last year the books I read were just kind of "meh" or a let-down in various ways. The Martian by Andy Weir is definitely something in alignment with my interests and it did not disappoint.

First of all, some people have trouble with the science jargon used very heavily in this novel. That's understandable, since it's not everyday language. This is a story about people who work for NASA and Jet Propulsion Laboratory (JPL) and they have to use a language the rest of us normal folk don't use. It's like a different language, but if you're a bit familiar with it, you can understand. I do have some familiarity with it, or it's just that I'm used to weird sciencey languages due to having watched a lot of Star Trek: The Next Generation when I was a teenager. At any rate, I wasn't daunted by any of it, but be warned. This might pose a problem for you if you're not familiar with it.

Other than that, this book is simply so riveting, I can't imagine anyone not liking it. It's about a botanist-turned-astronaut named Mark Watney stranded on Mars and how he manages to survive and get rescued. That's not really a spoiler since it's obvious he's going to get rescued or they wouldn't bother with the story. What makes it worth reading is HOW it happens and that produces nail-biting inducing anxiety at best. All I wanted was for Mark to catch a break for once because it was one problem after another after another! You get to the point where you want the protagonist to have it easy because you are so sick of his troubles, just like he is.

After reading the book, I also watched the movie and while the movie is really great, the book soars over its head in every way. They really gutted the movie of what made the book such a page-turner. Mark had significantly fewer problems on Mars in the movie than he did in the book. I even felt like he struggled a bit, but was ultimately not in any real danger other than running out of food. In the book, he faced that, too, but then so many other unexpected obstacles, too, that would be spoilery if I mentioned them.

Like you would imagine, it is hard to live on Mars when you were not planning on staying there for very long. I love how the book kept me on the edge of my seat and even made me laugh quite a bit. Mark has a sense of humor and uses it to steel his nerves while everything is falling (literally) apart around him. Some reviewers found this off-putting, but everyone has their unique way of handling stress, and the type to get picked for any space missions are the type who do things unlike most people, and are somehow capable of staying calm. Most people would panic and get themselves killed.

There were other humorous characters, as well, so expect to laugh at a few other people, too, not just Mark. Overall, this book gets highest marks from me. The only thing that felt left out was a true epilogue for Mark after he returns to Earth. We never get that in the novel, but it's in the movie. That was one thing worth seeing in the movie, after all, and it was done well. Although, I would have preferred to see him reunite even for a few seconds with his parents, but it's good as is.

All I know is I wish I could get lucky like Andy Weir and unintentionally write a major best seller not realizing I'm doing it, and even letting people read the book for free because I don't realize what a cash-cow I have on my hands, until I'm forced to make people pay for it on Amazon because Amazon won't let you price anything for free. Ever notice these things only happen to the authors who aren't even looking for success? -_-

 

8 comments:

  1. Yeah, wouldn't it be great to write something that just blew up like that? I bet he's loving life right now. I've only seen the movie. I know I should read the book but I don't know if I ever will.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would be a dream come true if I could write something that just takes off like that without much effort....

      I would suggest giving the book a try. Read the first chapter and see how you like it. ;)

      Delete
  2. The Martian is one of those books I would like to read as well as see the movie. Maybe when I'm in my next sci-fi reading kick. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely do it, Cherie! I bet you'll be on another sci-fi kick soon.

      Delete
  3. I'm glad you enjoyed it so much! Great books can sometimes be few and far between. I'm afraid I stopped reading this one. I loved the MC and thought he was brilliant. His life on Mars fascinated me - he was like a super-McGuyver! My problem was I didn't any of the earth-side characters, and once they figured out he was on Mars and it became public knowledge all the suspense of whether he was going to be rescued or not disappeard. Of *course* he'd be rescued with the combined ingenuity of all those people. Far less likely if he was truly on his own and had to figure out how to live AND how to be rescued by himself. Nonetheless, I've loved interviews I've read of the author and think he's awesome for coming up with such a great idea and not backing-down from the sciency language and technical aspects of things! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry to hear you didn't really like this one. To each his own. I couldn't put it down, but we all have our individual tastes. Thanks for stopping by! ;)

      Delete
  4. I started reading the book, and while I enjoyed the science of the situation, it seemed a bit too formal at times and I was surprised that so many people made it through the book. Perhaps if I had read farther, all the tension would have come through and I would have finished it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry you didn't connect with the book. I guess it's really not everyone's cup of tea.

      Delete

I would love to know what you think about this post! Leave me a comment. Thanks so much!

IWSG: The I-Have-Returned Edition... (#37)

The Insecure Writer's Support Group (IWSG) is a monthly support system for blogging writers in need of finding other writers to co...