Wednesday, August 15, 2012

"Lucindarella" - What If? Blogfest

WHAT IF?
Fairytale Madness BlogFest!
AUGUST 13th – 17th 

Hosted by Cassie Mae @ Reading, Writing & Loving It


I'm participating in the "What If?" Fairytale Madness Blogfest and have a 300-word flash fiction "what if?" scenario for the classic fairytale, Cinderella. What you do is you take a popular fairytale and change one little detail and the entire direction of the story is completely different. Sounds fun, doesn't it?

I decided to do a plot twist with Cinderella, so that means I'm joining "Team Plot Twist."



Here's my entry:


Lucindarella


Lucinda carefully slid her dainty foot into the glass slipper, holding her breath.

"A perfect fit?” said the Royal Cobbler, his eyes wide with astonishment.

"Is it, man?” said the Royal Adviser. “You are the expert on this, not me.” They were on a mission to scout out the mystery girl who had danced with the Prince the past two nights at his Ball because she had suddenly disappeared at midnight without a trace. The Prince was frantically searching for her with the only thing she left behind—a glass slipper.

"I believe it is a perfect fit,” said the Royal Cobbler. “By Jove—we have found our mystery lass.”

"Good sirs, I was with the Prince the past two nights,” said Lucinda, batting her eyelashes. “I was afraid to tell him who I am because I'm a servant in this household.”

"The Prince has instructed me to try out all maidens' feet in the Kingdom, be they maids or mesdemoiselles,” said the Adviser. “Do not fear. He will make her his bride, regardless.”

Lucinda smiled and breathed a sigh of relief. But, she knew she was lying to these old men through her teeth. The glass slipper belonged to Cinderella, the aristocratic 'servant' girl next door, a friend she'd been giving her old shoes to for years now. Luckily, their feet were exactly the same size or the ruse would have failed. And, luckily these codgers got to her house before Cinderella's.

She stepped into the carriage outside the house and spotted Cinderella watching her get inside from her window. She smirked at her. Cinderella shot her the glare of death.

"What can I say? Being a servant sucks and you're too trusting,” she muttered under her breath, chuckling. “This 'happily ever after' is mine now.” 

21 comments:

  1. LOL! Great re-telling, Cathy! I'm a sucker for flash fiction. I broke into the short story world with a handful of them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Camille: Oh, thanks, Camille! I find writing flash fiction really hard, especially the short stuff like this. But, it does force you to trim the excess and get to the point.

      Delete
  2. That is so evil! I love the twist. It just goes to show how a twist can change a story entirely. It's even more of an impact when it's a fairy tale because everybody knows how they should go!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Lan: I know, right? I thought, what if some other girl's feet fit perfectly into the glass slipper? Wouldn't she be able to pretend to be the mystery girl and go marry the Prince instead of Cinderella? That part never made much sense to me, lol.

      Delete
  3. Great twist! It always seemed a little odd only Cinderella could fit the shoe. Nice to meet you. (I picked Cinderella too)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Rose: Thanks so much! Yeah, I've always thought Cinderella couldn't have been the only girl with her size feet. Nice to meet you, too. ;)

      Delete
  4. I like the direction you took with this piece of flash fic. It's a realistic version... quite believable!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Michelle: Thanks very much and thanks for taking the time to read it!

      Delete
  5. Oh man! A definite twist to the tell.
    Mean ol' Lucinda!

    Really fun entry! Thanks so much for being part of the fest. I'm excited to find your blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Leigh: Thank you! I hope it's a funny entry. :)

      Delete
  6. Oooh, nasty piece of work. Poor Cinders! Cindy's shoes figure in my twist too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Denise: Yeah, Cinderella's got back luck, or something. Thanks for commenting!

      Delete
  7. Oh poor Cinderella. Will she ever catch a break? LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fun twist! Poor Cinderella. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great play on the fact that Cinderella couldn't have had a unique shoe size... and the royal search party come off as pretty dumb! Amazing how many unique takes on Cinderella have been in this blogfest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Nick: Thanks so much, Nick! You've hit on what I was trying to do exactly. And, yes, there are a LOT of unique takes on Cinderella in the blogfest. Some are really great. :)

      Delete
  10. I knew there had to be someone with the same size of feet! Lol. Great twist!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh no! Where's the Fairy Godmother to make everything right again? I <3 "Happily Ever Afters."

    ReplyDelete

I would love to know what you think about this post! Leave me a comment. Thanks so much!

IWSG: The I-Have-Returned Edition... (#37)

The Insecure Writer's Support Group (IWSG) is a monthly support system for blogging writers in need of finding other writers to co...