Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Review: The Emotion Thesaurus by Angela Ackerman

The Emotion Thesaurus: A Writer's Guide to Character Expression
by Angela Ackerman & Becca Puglisi

Genre: Nonfiction/Fiction Writing Reference
Publication Date: May 9, 2012
Source: Amazon Kindle store

One of the biggest problem areas for writers is conveying a character's emotions to the reader in a unique, compelling way. This book comes to the rescue by exploring seventy-five emotions and listing the possible body language cues, thoughts, and visceral responses for each.

Written in an easy-to-navigate list format, readers can draw inspiration from character cues that range in intensity to match any emotional moment, including situations where a character is trying to hide their feelings from others. The Emotion Thesaurus also tackles common emotion-related writing problems and provides methods to overcome them.

This writing tool encourages writers to show, not tell emotion and is a creative brainstorming resource for any fiction project. 

 
My Review

When I first learned about The Emotion Thesaurus I was intrigued. Was this like a regular thesaurus, but for emotions? Would I be able to look up any type of human emotion and find varying ways to portray it through prose that would help me avoid being redundant and stale? The answer to these questions is a definite YES.

What a brilliant idea it was to create this amazing resource for fiction writers! The authors of this title are the owners of the popular writing craft blog, The Bookshelf Muse. They've been helping authors with their writing craft for a good while now, and this book was naturally created through their blog posts first, then compiled for ease of use in book reference format.

Here is why The Emotion Thesaurus is a must-have reference if you write any kind of prose in which you need to convey emotion accurately and compellingly:

Say you're writing a scene in your novel in which your main character is experiencing a crisis moment. She has just discovered another trusted character has been lying to her through his fat teeth. You want to get into your main character's head-space and illustrate just how deeply she is hurt by this other character's betrayal.

You flip open either your paperback or ebook version of The Emotion Thesaurus right to the Table of Contents page. Panning down the ToC, you spot the word “Hurt” and turn to its corresponding page. You read a definition of the word, followed by a long list of outward, physical signals that are apparent when a person has been hurt emotionally, like:

          Physical Signals
          Eyes widening, yet brows are furrowed
          Swallowing hard
          Lowering the head, the neck appearing to shrink

You also find a long list of internal sensations one experiences when hurt, like:

         Internal Sensations
         Dizziness
         Stomach hardening, nausea
         A painful tightness in one's throat

Beyond all this, you also see sub-lists of “Mental Responses,” “Cues of Long-Term Hurt,” “Cues of Suppressed Hurt” and an additional writer's tip for each emotion chapter. These authors thought of everything you can do, think, feel, react and stubbornly hang-on to for every major emotion we humans experience.

Back to your novel—you realize now that you can rewrite this weak sentence, “She was so hurt by Barry's betrayal and wanted to throw up,” to a more powerful, “Her head began to spin. She swallowed down hard on the painful realization. He'd been lying to her? She gagged on the knot in her throat, clenching her stomach to keep its contents from rising.”

If you find your ability to convey emotion becoming stilted and repetitive, this book is the answer to your problem. I've been using it every day as I've been writing my current novella, and it has gotten me through those emotionally turbulent scenes better than I ever would have without it. Highly recommended.

My score: 5/5 stars.


12 comments:

  1. I've been meaning to get this book for a while. Not sure if I should buy the kindle or paperback version. I have so many reference books now. My head is starting to spin.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Lan: This reference book is really like having a very specific thesaurus, so you can use it only when you really need it. That's why it's so awesome. It helps so much, trust me!

      Delete
  2. I came to check out your blog this morning and you had this review! Synchronicity:) I have been dithering about this book for a LONG time, I think I will not dither any longer...thank you for posting this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Heidi: Wow! That's is so funny that you've been wondering about this book. Definitely get it as you can just use it whenever you need it. It's a really great reference.

      Delete
  3. I have been meaning to buy this book for a while. I think it'll be very useful. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You sold me! I am definitely getting this one. I am an ebook convert for all of my books except reference books. I'll definitely be getting the paperback of this one.

    I really love your reviews on writing books. I am finding them very helpful and inspriational!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Camille: I'm glad I helped you find another important writer resource! Whatever format you get it in, it'll be just as useful. Good luck with it!

      Delete
  5. I've been hearing a lot lately about this book. I want it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You did a great job explaining how great the book is. Makes me want one. Living in Egypt with no Paypal can be do annoying sometimes...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Lexa: Thanks very much! I wish there was some way for you to get a copy of this book. I hope that works out for you!

      Delete

I would love to know what you think about this post! Leave me a comment. Thanks so much!

IWSG: The I-Have-Returned Edition... (#37)

The Insecure Writer's Support Group (IWSG) is a monthly support system for blogging writers in need of finding other writers to co...