Wednesday, April 4, 2018

IWSG: The No-One-Ever-Said-I'm-Not-a-Failure Edition... (#35)

The Insecure Writer's Support Group (IWSG) is a monthly support system for blogging writers in need of finding other writers to connect with and share our deepest insecurities in a safe environment. Created by the clever Alex J. Cavanaugh with the expressed purpose to "share and encourage."

This month's optional question is, "When your writing life is a bit cloudy or filled with rain, what do you do to dig down and keep on writing?"

Well, this question implies that I have somehow already figured out how to get through the stormy days of writing by still writing. I can assure you that I haven't done any such thing. I still wait it out until the sun starts shining again before I get back to it. Sorry. No one ever said I'm not a failure at this writing thing.

I know it's an area where I need some big growth, so I'll be working on it. We'll see what I feel I need to do when the time comes. I know I have to get better at just keeping the nose to the grindstone, so I'll remember how embarrassing it was to have to admit to this on my blog (today) and it will motivate me to persevere through the tough writing days from now on. See? Who doesn't want to be one of the cool kids?

What do you do to get through the stormy writing days? Maybe you have some sage wisdom to impart to me.

16 comments:

  1. I've always been lucky that no matter how down I get about my writing, all I need is a good night's sleep and I'm ready to write again. It's kind of scary to think I can ignore reality so easily. I'm sure you'll persevere the next time you don't feel like writing. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I could ignore reality so easily! I'm need emotional stability when I write, so if I'm emotional about IRL stuff, I can't even hope to write.

      Delete
  2. You're no writing failure. But now you have set the bar for yourself!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...So now I can be a writing failure! I guess I have to be cautious now.

      Delete
  3. It’s OK to not be great at handling the stormy days. I give myself such a hard time for not being perfect and it’s ridiculous. Some days are meant for failing...as long as we get back out there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do like that attitude. Some days are for failing, some months, some YEARS. I do need to not be so hard on myself, but I also need to try more, too.

      Delete
  4. I think there's a reason writer's block is such a well known phenomena. Inspiration is a really hard thing to pin down when your mood is affected by outside forces. I think that's why it's good to establish a habit and write something every day even if it's not your novel. At least, that's what I'm trying to make myself do. Though I have to admit I'm failing a little. Hence why I haven't even had time to write an IWSG post this month.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't conjure up creativity when I'm emotional about something. It just doesn't work for me and I don't even get how it does for others. That's why I figure I'm a failure. I have no idea how to get around the days when the emotions are totally blocking the way, other than to get the emotions to calm down. How anyone can get anything done otherwise, I'll never know....

      Delete
  5. Taking a break doesn't make you a failure. It doesn't hurt to take a break once in a while.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I do think we sometimes need breaks from writing, though I'm trying to get back into better habits. Hasn't happened yet, but we'll see.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed. I need to get better at writing more when I do feel good.

      Delete
  7. When life is very crazy I can't write. Don't worry if you haven't found a strategy that works yet. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOL! I try to keep a carrot dangling in front of my nose--a scene I really want to write but that's a way down the line, or a reward I've promised myself once I reach a finish line.

    ReplyDelete
  9. There comes a time when a person has to take a break and fill the creative well...so this may be it for you!

    All the best!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to know what you think about this post! Leave me a comment. Thanks so much!

IWSG: The I-Have-Returned Edition... (#37)

The Insecure Writer's Support Group (IWSG) is a monthly support system for blogging writers in need of finding other writers to co...