Wednesday, September 2, 2015

IWSG: The Sick Edition (#19)


Insecure Writers' Support Group (IWSG) is a really awesome meme that you should be doing along with the rest of us writers. Unless you truly are happy with your writing and don't feel the need to vent about your insecurities because they don't exist for you. But, really.... Don't they?  
IWSG is hosted by Captain Ninja Alex at his blog, Alex J. Cavanaugh.
 
 
Sorry for the long absence from IWSG! It has been four months since my last confession post, but I'm trying to find reasons to join in on the blog hop again.
 
My insecurity comes from having spent the last two to three months being sick with everything you can think of, making writing a very difficult thing to do regularly. I haven't fallen behind on my word count goal for the year (thankfully), but it's discouraging feeling like I'm going to get better soon so I can write more regularly, and then discovering that I get sick with something else, again.
 
It does seem like my health is improving now, so I might truly be able to keep up with a regular writing schedule. It's Tuesday night as I write this, and I managed to write about 1,000 words on Monday and around 600 today, so far. Hopefully, this trend keeps up. As a writer, I need to be able to do what I'm supposed to be doing, which is to write. Being constantly ill and unable to get any writing done for a prolonged period is a surefire way to overcome writer apathy/evasion. ;)
 
Also, my writing partner Lan Chan just published her FIRST novel ever, Poison, only yesterday! She's really going places. Please go check it out if you at all love Young Adult dystopia fiction and the kind of gritty action from The Hunger Games. It won't disappoint!
 
Since the night her mother was murdered, sixteen-year-old Rory Gray has known one truth: There are no good Seeders. In post-apocalyptic Australia, the scientists known as Seeders have built a Citadel surrounded by food-producing regions and populated with refugees from the wars and famine. To maintain their control, the Seeders poisoned the land and outlawed the saving of seeds. It’s been six years since Rory graced the Seeders’ circus stage as the Wind Dancer and still the scars on her body haven’t healed. Even worse are the scars on her heart, left by a Seeder boy who promised to protect her. Now the Seeders are withholding supplies from Rory’s region for perceived disobedience. Utilizing the Wanderer knowledge she received from her mother, Rory must journey to the Citadel through uninhabitable terrain to plead for mercy. However, the Citadel isn’t as Rory remembered. The chief plant geneticist is dying and rumors fly that the store of viable seed is dwindling. The Seeders are desperate to find a seed bank they believe Rory can locate, and they will stop at nothing to get it. To defy the Seeders means death. But Rory has been close to death before--this time she’s learned the value of poison. 

Recommended for fans of The Hunger Games, strong protagonists, circuses and nature!
 
Poison (Wind Dancer, #1) is only $3.99 at Amazon | Amazon UK | Amazon AUS | Smashwords | Kobo
 

33 comments:

  1. LOL! Thanks for the shout out Cathy!!

    I'm sorry that you've been sick for so long but am super glad you're feeling better. There's a certain amount of anxiety that comes with being a writer who can't write due to a reason beyond their control. Hopefully this is the beginning of a new stage of wellness and lots more productivity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Lan: You're welcome, of course!

      I think I've finally turned the corner, so I should be able to write a lot again. Thanks for your concern!:)

      Delete
  2. Being sick and having obstacles to your writing is the worst. When you have a goal set for yourself and things out of your control just keep getting in the way is monstrously frustrating. Still, you sound like you're pushing through and that's awesome. Keep it up!

    Also, your friend's book sounds really cool. :-)

    IWSG September Post

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @C.D. Thanks for the encouragement! I'm pushing through all the health obstacles as best I can.

      And my friend's book IS really cool! Thanks for dropping by. :)

      Delete
  3. Being sick really takes a toll on having the energy to write. The fact that you've kept up with your word count goals is awesome. I'm glad to hear you're feeling a bit better.

    Love Poison's cover! Congrats to Lan!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Cherie: Yeah, it's hard to have the energy to do anything when sick for a long time, let alone writing. It's very frustrating, but I'm still getting some writing done. It just has to prevail.

      Thanks for stopping by! Take care...;)

      Delete
  4. Happy IWSG Day, Cathy. Sorry you're sick. Your friend's book looks awesome. Best to her, and you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Joylene: Happy IWSG Day to you, too, Joylene! I really like your name, by the way. ;) Thanks for taking the time to read about Lan's new book. Have a great day! :-)

      Delete
  5. Welcome back! I hope you feel better soon. I love that cover, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Deborah: Thank you. I am trying to get better. Thanks for checking out Lan's new book cover. :)

      Delete
  6. Sorry you've been so sick! Pray you're better soon.
    So happy for Lan!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Alex: Thank you very much! Thanks for supporting Lan, too. ;)

      Delete
  7. It sounds like you're on the mend! That is good news.
    All that writing is wonderful!
    You're getting more done than I am, that's for sure.
    Thanks for sharing with the IWSG!
    Heather

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Heather: I am on the mend, thanks. It's great news, finally! Thanks for stopping by. ;)

      Delete
  8. Here's to hoping you finally get all your health back again. Feeling sick can really sap the writing energy right out of you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Ken: I am doing my best to get better and get back to writing regularly again. Thanks for your support! :)

      Delete
  9. No fun that you've been sick. I've missed your posting. Hopefully all will be ok now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Jenny: Yeah, it's been no fun at all being sick. I hope I can post more often now that I'm feeling better. Thanks for dropping by! ;)

      Delete
  10. I can empathize with that. While I'm not sick, I've had a permanent migraine for 4 1/2 years now. Unfortunately, it got worse a few months ago, so writing and blogging have been a struggle. We'll both get through it. Welcome back!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Shannon: Wow! That's terrible that you've had a migraine for so many years non-stop. I hope you can get that figured out soon. I know I can barely function with a headache. Good luck to you with your work, and yes, we will get through it! :D

      Delete
  11. I'm so sorry to hear you haven't been feeling well. But your 1600 words over 2 days this week is excellent! I hope you recover and find time to get back to writing! Congrats to Lan on her new release! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Lexa: Thank you so much! I do feel the word count was very helpful and hopefully I can keep it up.

      Take care. :)

      Delete
  12. Sounds like an awesome story.

    Sorry that you've been feeling ill for so much of the year. I hope you get into the writing groove easily.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Misha: Yes, Lan's novel is awesome!

      Thank you for your encouragement. I appreciate it. ;)

      Delete
  13. I hope you are feeling better.
    Wishing much success to Lan. Great storyline. Great cover.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Just stopped by to say hey and thanks for the visit;)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sounds like you have had a rough time, Cathy. Something in life must have been off balance for you to be sick for so long. Glad you are feeling better now. Poison sound a great read. I loved the Hunger Games Trilogy so I will be adding it to my list of 'must reads'. Stay healthy!! All the best.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Joined to IWSG this month and stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  17. It's bad to be sick for a day. To have that grinding, continuing malaise to deal with for months is truly a trial. I am glad it's fading, and hope your writing gives you joy!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your opening had me chuckling. I'm glad that you are starting to feel better. Without one's health it is very difficult to remain focused. Blessings for your continued improvement.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Glad you're recovering. It's hard to write when you're sick. Here's hoping that you'll be well through all of 2016.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Being sick is no fun at all. It is even worse when it is one thing after another. I hope you are finally feeling better and I know from your recent post that you met your writing goal for the year- so I am hoping this was the last of your illnesses.

    Hope that 2016 is full of good health! :)
    ~Jess

    ReplyDelete

I would love to know what you think about this post! Leave me a comment. Thanks so much!

IWSG: The I-Have-Returned Edition... (#37)

The Insecure Writer's Support Group (IWSG) is a monthly support system for blogging writers in need of finding other writers to co...